Rule and Monitor in SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• hi,...

what is Rule and Monitor concepts in SCOM management pack..

what is the difference between Rule and Monitor?

any one can expalain it?

help me:)

regards

satheesh

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:30 AM

Answers

• there's a lot more to it, but you can see it like this:

A monitor shows a state of an object and has 2 or 3 states of which one is healthy. A rule just triggers on some kind of event.

When you just look at alerts, you can see that some alerts come from rules and some from monitors. Alerts from rules will never auto close and can get a high repeat count as each "new event" on which the rule triggers creates a new alert. Alerts from a monitor are generated on the statechange of the monitor and generally autoclose when the monitor returns to a healthy state. Typically these alerts will never have a repeat count (as the alert is only triggered on a statechange). Especially for monitors there are exceptions, like "manual reset" monitors (there's no healthy state defined other then a reset of the monitor; the citrix mp and the latest dhcp mp have loads of these monitors) and monitors that don't auto close alerts which could generate repeat counts, but for 90+% it works as above.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• there's a lot more to it, but you can see it like this:

A monitor shows a state of an object and has 2 or 3 states of which one is healthy. A rule just triggers on some kind of event.

When you just look at alerts, you can see that some alerts come from rules and some from monitors. Alerts from rules will never auto close and can get a high repeat count as each "new event" on which the rule triggers creates a new alert. Alerts from a monitor are generated on the statechange of the monitor and generally autoclose when the monitor returns to a healthy state. Typically these alerts will never have a repeat count (as the alert is only triggered on a statechange). Especially for monitors there are exceptions, like "manual reset" monitors (there's no healthy state defined other then a reset of the monitor; the citrix mp and the latest dhcp mp have loads of these monitors) and monitors that don't auto close alerts which could generate repeat counts, but for 90+% it works as above.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi Satheesh, if you need any deeper information you could check the answers in your other thread. Rob and myself answered there as well with resources where you can find more information.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Thanks Bob and Rob...

its very useful for me in future works...

great job... continue..

regards

satheesh

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Thanks for your information...

Plz check the below link for more information for Monitor and Rule :

http://www.culham.net/2011/scom/scom-rules-vs-monitors

Regards,

Prasad.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:25 AM