none
CEWP not Working in SharePoint 2013 Mobile View

Question

• We have a site we're trying to migrate from 2010 to 2013. Many pages have 1 to 5 CE WebParts on each page. We've narrowed it down to the fact that Content Editor Web Parts are not compatible (and therefore completely invisible) in mobile view.

This is arguably the most used Web Part out there in SharePoint. I remember promises that 2013 was going to be the big version that made mobile view really work.

I've tried to create a site collection and have only one thing on the page - a CEWP with pure text - no images or links and saw that it told me something like "some webparts are not compatible with mobile view in SharePoint".

Really?

We are knee-deep in the migration and we really need mobile to work on pages with Content Editor Web Parts. All I've found is links back to 2007 or 2010 (one even suggested creating a mobile adapter for it, which I'm not really wanting to do)......

How can I get this to work?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• SharePoint 2013 built-in mobile support will not be able to handle all the content that we throw in a page. It still requires a significant amount of work to make a web part/add-in compatible in a mobile view. You can take the route of device channels which is available in SharePoint which helps rendering your content target specific devices.

But I believe the safer (and an easier) way is to design your content using existing responsive frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation to make your content completely responsive and mobile friendly.

NLV - MCTS - Blog - Twitter - In

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Responsive frameworks are great but where are you putting the html markup that uses those frameworks? That's the point of the content editor. You put html markup in the CE and the markup has stuff like Bootstrap 4.0 markup. Unfortunately, SharePoint will refuse to render this responsive CE content.

It sounds like one approach may be to just make an aspx SharePoint page for a mobile channel and put the content directly onto the page. Then use the device channels to point to this page. What do you think?

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:53 PM