Windows Mobile Device Center WMDCBase.exe does not work with Windows 10 Pro 1903 Update RRS feed

• Question

• I suspect that the "May-2019 1903" Windows Update totally stuffed up WMDC.  
    I suspect my only option left is to install a virtual machine running an older version of Windows (eg Vista) and do my development in there - uggh ... good grief!
    I just purchased 4 Datalogic Falcon X4 and I need to compile and test with the Emulator AND I need to connect these devices to my PC to upload my app.
    I wish Microsoft would fix this.  

Hi I have three problems (all probably related):

A) When I run WMDCBase.exe it hangs at the splash screen.
    B) When I click on WMDC in Control Panel ... if I tick "Allow data connections on device when connected to PC" I get "Your settings could not be saved because you do not have sufficient permissions..."
    C) in the Windows Mobile 6 Professional VGA Emulator (from VS 2008) under File / Configure / Network tab... I cannot tick "Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to...".  I get an error message "The required Virtual Machine Driver could not be found.  Make sure that Virtual PC 2007 is installed.  (BUT this is installed)

Attempts to fix:
    #1 - Installed Dot Net Framework 3.5

#2 - Installed WMHC-Helper.exe

#3 - Installed drvupdate-amd64.exe as Administrator with compatibility for Vista

#4 - Installed Virtual PC 2007

Tried everything on this link: https://www.junipersys.com/support/Knowledge-Base/Support-Knowledge-Base-Topics/Desktop-Connection-ActiveSync-or-Windows-Mobile-Device-Center/WMDC-in-Windows-10

#5 - I have tried all the following per this link: https://support.waspbarcode.com/kb/articles/windows-10-creators-update-v1703-and-fall-creators-update-v1709-windows-mobile-device-center-m 
    * Setting Service Logon to Local System Account
    * Setting Recovery for Subsequent Failures to Restart the Service
    * Adding Registry Settings for RapiMgr and WcesComm

#6 - I also tried setting "Full Control" security rights to this registry
    * HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost\WindowsMobile

#7 - I also tried installing Datalogic DSK for Falcon X3
    * DatalogicSDK-2.3.0.71

#8 - I also tried re-installing WMDC a few times

#9 - I tried creating a variation of drvupdate-amd86.msi using ORCA per this link: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/93efdeb2-b417-476a-9252-689375163c4d/unable-to-install-windows-mobile-device-center-on-windows-10-v-1709?forum=windowsmobiledev

Uggh... help

Friday, July 17, 2020 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hi all.  For the record I do not believe WMDC will ever work again with the latest and future versions of Windows 10.  

So this leaves the following work arounds:

First... forget trying to debug to the Windows Mobile 6 Professional VGA Emulator in Windows 10.  Instead debug to My Computer per this article (does not require WMDC)... www.danielmoth.com/Blog/deploy-to-my-computer.aspx

Second... forget trying to debug to the actual mobile device in Windows 10 (because WMDC does not work the mobile device will never connect via USB).  In my case I am lucky... my Falcon X3+ does actually come with a micro SD slot.  So I was able to copy my app.exe to a micro sd card and then put this in the device to install it.

Third... I gave up on Hyper V.  One of my programmers suggested I try "Virtual Box" which may work better.  So worst case I could install XP or Vista on this and get WMDC working that way.  But for now prior two solutions will work for me.

• Marked as answer by Justin 2020 Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Based on my understanding, your issue is Windows Mobile Device Centre (WMDC) stops working after upgrade to 1903. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

This may related to the change where SVCHOST where services no longer share the same instance of a running SVChosts.  Services now run in their own instance of SVChost.

Windows Mobile based Device connectivity and Windows Mobile -2003-based device connectivity are services that expect to run in the same shared instance of SVChost.

You can workaround this by adding SvcHostSplitDisable to the both services RapiMgr and WcesComm:

Something like this

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD

After making the change, you need to reboot.

Now these services should be running in the same svchost instance.

This "Windows 10 Application Compatibility" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Hope my answer will help you. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Sunny

"Windows 10 Application Compatibility" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Application Compatibility"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    Friday, July 17, 2020 10:24 AM
  • Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your response. 

I tried that per my step #5 above. 

Refer to this link ... https://support.waspbarcode.com/kb/articles/windows-10-creators-update-v1703-and-fall-creators-update-v1709-windows-mobile-device-center-m 

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:15 AM
  • Hi all.  For the record I do not believe WMDC will ever work again with the latest and future versions of Windows 10.  

So this leaves the following work arounds:

First... forget trying to debug to the Windows Mobile 6 Professional VGA Emulator in Windows 10.  Instead debug to My Computer per this article (does not require WMDC)... www.danielmoth.com/Blog/deploy-to-my-computer.aspx

Second... forget trying to debug to the actual mobile device in Windows 10 (because WMDC does not work the mobile device will never connect via USB).  In my case I am lucky... my Falcon X3+ does actually come with a micro SD slot.  So I was able to copy my app.exe to a micro sd card and then put this in the device to install it.

Third... I gave up on Hyper V.  One of my programmers suggested I try "Virtual Box" which may work better.  So worst case I could install XP or Vista on this and get WMDC working that way.  But for now prior two solutions will work for me.

• Marked as answer by Justin 2020 Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:46 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. Thank you so much for sharing your experience to us.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

This "Windows 10 Application Compatibility" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards,

Sunny

"Windows 10 Application Compatibility" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Application Compatibility"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:11 AM