How to get Windows 7 to pop Errors from Event Log? RRS feed

• Question

• For all the checking that Windows does in the background, why are system errors only visible when one opens Event Viewer?

When I have trouble with my W7HP computer, I do eventually find my way to the Event Viewer logs, but by that time I don't recall exactly what I was doing when the error was logged. Any Error (red) as opposed to Warning or Info item, should be possible to alert to the user WHEN IT HAPPENS!

Not only does Windows not do this (allow popup dialogs based on error type) afaict there is no 3rd party way to do this either. With XP at least there was a 3rd-party utility that would watch the logfiles and pop certain of them to the user WHEN THEY HAPPENED!

I sure hope I am wrong, and that there is an easy way to tell windows that I WANT TO SEE ERRORS WHEN THEY OCCUR!

• Edited by maxblack Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• "watch the logfiles and pop certain of them to the user WHEN THEY HAPPENED!"

In fact, there is a way to do that. If there's a particular error that you see in the Event Viewer that you'd like to know as and when it happens, right-click on the particular event, and select "Attach Task To This Event...". Name the event as you desire and click on Next twice. On the 'Action' page, select "Display a message". Type the title and the body of the message that you want to be displayed on screen (preferably copy-paste the general description of the error event itself).

I'm not sure about how to display all errors. And I think it's good that I don't see an irrelevant error popping every now and then. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by maxblack Friday, August 12, 2011 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Ok, I've found a way to do that too!!

Open Event Viewer. Under "Summary of Administrative Events", you'll see something like this [+]Error. Right click on it and click on "View All Instances Of This Event". After that, on the left under "Custom View" you'll now see a new category named "Summary Page Events". Right click on this and select "Attach Task To This Custom View...". And then follow the same procedure as described above. Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by Server Baba Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Max, you wrote.. "When I have trouble with my W7HP computer, I do eventually find my way to the Event Viewer logs, but by that time I don't recall exactly what I was doing when the error was logged. Any Error (red) as opposed to Warning or Info item, should be possible to alert to the user WHEN IT HAPPENS!"

You can also do check the Action Centre. some alerts will appear as a red mark on your flag. MSE will also pop up alerts depending on your UAC settings and whether you have real-time scanning running or not.

In action Centre: to review reliability history (up to the minute I'd assume) you can also do this. First open 'Action Centre' go to 'Maintenance' section. go to the first part and click on the 'View Reliability History' - then Reliability Monitor will run; and you'll be able to check for warnings and errors in there.

All the best, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:02 PM
  • "watch the logfiles and pop certain of them to the user WHEN THEY HAPPENED!"

In fact, there is a way to do that. If there's a particular error that you see in the Event Viewer that you'd like to know as and when it happens, right-click on the particular event, and select "Attach Task To This Event...". Name the event as you desire and click on Next twice. On the 'Action' page, select "Display a message". Type the title and the body of the message that you want to be displayed on screen (preferably copy-paste the general description of the error event itself).

I'm not sure about how to display all errors. And I think it's good that I don't see an irrelevant error popping every now and then. Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:49 PM
  • The particular error that I experienced had to do with user.dat (registry) errors and no pkn there was no alert to the Action Center about it.

And Kunai while I did not know about "Attach Task to this event", I really do insist that W7 tells me whenever ANY red flag (ERROR) level event is entered to the log. The user.dat error that caused me to post here was one I'd never seen before...

So does anyone know how to make the "Attach Task" functionality work for any/all errors? Another way to pop all errors?

BTW, the software I used with XP to do what I wanted is/was EvenTrigger by IS Decisions, which they apparently don't publish-or-support anymore...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hi Maxblack, you wrote "And Kunai while I did not know about "Attach Task to this event", I really do insist that W7 tells me whenever ANY red flag (ERROR) level event is entered to the log. The user.dat error that caused me to post here was one I'd never seen before..."

Personally I severely dislike having to wade through Event Viewer looking for past errors and warnings when I'm trying to trace the history of a current problem when it occurs. I agree there needs to be an instant alert posted perhaps to a text file - or popup that you can review without needing to do a full system analysis to learn about the errors. :)

I wonder if the utility you mention works with compatability mode set to XP? have you tried it..

Thanks, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)

Open Event Viewer. Under "Summary of Administrative Events", you'll see something like this [+]Error. Right click on it and click on "View All Instances Of This Event". After that, on the left under "Custom View" you'll now see a new category named "Summary Page Events". Right click on this and select "Attach Task To This Custom View...". And then follow the same procedure as described above. Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by Server Baba Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi Server Baba, you said.. ""Summary Page Events". Right click on this and select "Attach Task To This Custom View."

That's brilliant SB - well done!  I'll try getting that in place here asap.. :) 

Many thanks, pkn

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:15 PM
  • I'm glad I could help.. :)

But then, I strongly wouldn't recommend you doing that. Try to see the time intervals in between the errors. They're quite short. At first it'll give you a sense of having a tighter control over the system, but after some time it'll become annoying when errors pop up in front of you every now and then. Hope it helps!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hi again, you said.. "Try to see the time intervals in between the errors. They're quite short."

Agreed - having it popping up for everything all the time would indeed be mind-numbing. <g> Perhaps just the serious errors as an ongoing task..  But when you're troubleshooting an issue with 'xyz', having this kind of monitoring would be ideal imo. :)

All the best, pkn

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:36 PM

Dunno how you came-across this Kunal but I'm impressed--it looks very promising! I have implemented it, but haven't seen an error yet and assume all I will get is my custom message to "Check the Logs" where it'd be nice to see the actual error. But this is a great start if it works!

I have 56 errors today, but have been working all-day to resolve the situations responsible for many of them, so don't expect the rainstorm of popups that y'all do.

Thanks Kunal, I don't think I've seen this functionality described in my exhausting-if-not-exhausTIVE surfing on the subject!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Also, you may create a custom view which only include error logs, then try to attch a task to this custom view.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:11 AM
  • I'm glad I could help.. :)

I just got a couple of errors and KDM your tip worked just great.

I came here expecting only to blow-off steam, and instead you made me a happy (er) man! Many thanks!

BTW, today I experienced some errors that did not pop the alert message, which I believe was owing to the type of error i.e. it occurred upon switching from one user to the other--I had just logged-off as the creator of the Task.

So I've changed the owner of the task to SYSTEM instead, so hopefully it will "Run whether user is logged on or not" or at least appear when I've logged-on as the other user.

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:40 PM