Multiple Versions of BPA and sbs 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SBS  2011 Standard. 

When I run windows updates, there are about 6 different versions of the Best Practice Analyzers that come up in optional updates.  One is for WUS, Active Directory, DHCP Server, File Services, Network Policy, Application Server.

Am I suppose to run these versions also, or just the one for SBS?

Thanks

George

Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi George:

By Windows Updates you refer to what's on Start - Programs, not WSUS?  WSUS will give you what you need, although there is no harm in checking with WU or MU (Windows/Microsoft Updates).  As far as running additional BPAs, there is no harm that I am aware of, except for perhaps unnecessary loss of your time.  But if they find anything that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck, please check back before taking any such recommendations as required for SBS.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Mohitkapoor Sunday, December 2, 2012 5:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:12 AM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi George:

By Windows Updates you refer to what's on Start - Programs, not WSUS?  WSUS will give you what you need, although there is no harm in checking with WU or MU (Windows/Microsoft Updates).  As far as running additional BPAs, there is no harm that I am aware of, except for perhaps unnecessary loss of your time.  But if they find anything that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck, please check back before taking any such recommendations as required for SBS.

• Proposed as answer by Mohitkapoor Sunday, December 2, 2012 5:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:12 AM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:59 AM
  • I was having issues with my SBS 2011 standard server.  MY BPA is not working.  I was hoping that installing the other BPA might help trouble shoot to correct the issue.

[cid:Error16]Best Practices Analyzer Scan
    Warning condition:      A Windows
    Server Solutions BPA scan reports that some server settings do not comply with
    Microsoft-recommended best practices. For more details about this issue,
    manually run Windows Server Solutions BPA.
    Last BPA scan time:     12/02/2012
    20:43:58
    Error found:    1

Instrumentation 1       12/2/2012 2:07:41 AM    1
    Event Details:
    Cmdlet
    Invoke-MbcaModel failed. Error message: There has been a Best Practice Analyzer
    error for Model Id: ''WSSGBPA''. A Best Practice Analyzer task is currently
    running, and the ''Model'' resources are currently in use. Please wait for the
    task to complete.

Any idea on what is going on and how to correct?

Thanks

George

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:40 AM
  • Have you tried uninstalling reinstalling SBS BPA?
    Monday, December 3, 2012 3:59 AM
  • I may have found something interesting.

I had 2 versions of BPA installed.  I uninstalled version 1.0 and version 2.0.  Was version 2.0 not to be used with SBS?

Which version do I reinstall?

George

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Hi Geoge:

I have not seen two versions installed on the same system, but, then again, I have not seriously looked. What should happen is that early on WSUS should have given you V1, or you might have found it on the www.sbsbpa.com site. After that, WSUS should be keeping it updated.

Wait 24 hours to see what WSUS gives you, or start again at www.sbsbpa.com. You can also update to 1.1 from there, but after that WSUS is the answer.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:43 PM