Bug: Taskbar issue with Steam, pin steam.exe to taskbar will add a shortcut to L4D2. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange problem with the taskbar, I want to add Steam.exe to the taskbar. So I right click on Steam.exe and select "Pin to taskbar". For some reason Windows then will add a Left 4 dead 2 shortcut to the taskbar instead of Steam.exe.

Since L4D2 is launched by Steam I can see some logic in it, the shortcut to start L4D2 is <Steam.exe -applaunch 550>, but I think it's a bug that Windows will use some random cached call to a program when adding a shortcut to the taskbar.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 1:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jurgen,

That my be a bug, you can get more ideas for the Taskbar Extensions from the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460(VS.85).aspx#overlays

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Edited by John Cena Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:59 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Hrm how is this not a bug? I rightclick on stem.exe and choose pin to the taskbar and now everytime I click that icon L4D2 starts? It's like I want to pin notepad.exe to the taskbar and when i click that icon notepad would always start with some selfchoosen textfile...

And if it is not a bug how come when i do pin to taskbar on the real steam.exe-file I will get a L4D2 shortcut (not only icon but a real shortcut it will add -applaunch 550 to the shortcut). but if I do pin to taskbar on my desktop shortcut to steam it will add a steam.exe shortcut to the taskbar without -applaunch 550... Funny thing is that windows knows they are the same .exe file becuase I must do unpin before I can pin the other.

Do you still think this is not a bug?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:17 PM
  • :)

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service team.

I am sorry to read about the issues with Bug with the "pin to taskbar" feature on your computer.

Due to the nature of the technical query, it has not been possible for me to answer your query.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:12 PM
  • See that's the thing about Microsoft: they don't know their way around any of their own products. If one was to submit a bug to microsoft, they will tell you to restart your computer (as opposed to submitting an error report to the technical staff). Microsoft products are also getting worse. I plan to move to Ubuntu.
    Monday, April 14, 2014 4:16 PM