none
Changes to Lock Screen image GPO not taking effect

Question

• We are looking at using the “Force a specific default lock screen image" GPO to put an image there. like in the below link through GPO. It seems all straight forward enable it put in a path to the image we want to use and it did work. But that was just a test image to see if it worked. It won't let me change the image. I changed it in the policy first by just replacing the file with a new PIC using the same file name and location then putting a new filename pic and changing the policy to that but after several reboots and GPupdates of the PC's the original image remains on the lock screen. Am I missing something simple.

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2012/11/h...-in-windows-8/

Jason

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you run gpresult /h report.htm on the computer, do you see the new setting in the gpresult report?

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:15 PM
  • No, the gpresult report only seems to show the default domain policy but RSOP shows the screen policy I'm working with and if I drill down to the exact setting it has the path to the new filename.

Jason

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Well 30 minutes later the change took effect. I would think manually running GPupdate and etc would work. Guess I just wasn't patient enough. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Here is what I recently did for our network:

1. Select Computer Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Files.
    2. Right-click on the right and select New > File.
    3. Select Update as the Action.
    4. Specify a network location for the source file (where only admins has access).
    5. Specify %WinDir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgroundDefauly.jpg as the destination file.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Select Computer Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Folders.
    8. Right-click on the right and select New > Folder.
    9. Select Create as the Action.
    10. Specify %WindowsDir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds as the path.
    11. Click OK.
    12. Select Computer Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Registry.
    13. Right-click on the right and select New > Registry Item.
    14. Select Update as the Action.
    15. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as the Hive.
    16. Specify Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background as the Key Path.
    17. Specify OEMBackground as the Value name (leave Default unchecked)
    18. Select REG_DWORD as the Value Type.
    19. Specify 1 as the Value Data with base of Hexadecimal.
    20. Select the Common tab and enter optional description of 0 = default background and 1 = custom background.
    21. Click OK.
    22. Link to the Workstations OU.

Good luck,

Vlad

Ebor

Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:32 AM
  • No, the gpresult report only seems to show the default domain policy but RSOP shows the screen policy I'm working with and if I drill down to the exact setting it has the path to the new filename.

Jason

gpresult /R only returns current user settings unless you run it on an elevated command prompt.

Ebor

Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:13 AM
  • Hi Jason,
    Alternatively, you could configure the registry item as below via group policy which is used to control lock screen image:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization
    Key name:LockScreenImage

Please see details from: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/14485-lock-screen-background-image-set-default-windows-8-a.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding to configure the registry item, you could take a look:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 30, 2016 5:19 AM