Adding a hyperlink to a sharepoint document library RRS feed

• Question

• how to add a hyperlink to a sharepoint document library?
    Monday, August 13, 2012 4:13 PM

Answers

• Ok, lets create a new content type with following parameters

Select parent content type from: Document Content Types
    Parent Content Type: Link to document 

This will create a new content type as below

Name: MyLink 
    Description:  
    Parent: Link to a Document 
    Group: Custom Content Types 

Remember the group you have selected for the new content type and then try to add it on doc lib.

Also check behavior by adding any other content type in the same doc lib 

Please let us know the results after above testing, thanks

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Ramldsm,

What is your exact requirement? because we have a ootb column type with "Hyperlink".

Create a column using following option

Column type: Hyperlink or Picture

Format URL as: Hyperlink

Hope this helps, Thanks

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Hi Pratik Vyas,

I need to add to a document library a hyperlink that will take us to a document.

I did add "Link to Document" by going on to the libray, clicking on"Setting," selecting "Document Library Setting," then clicking on "Add from existing site content types," and selecting "Link to Document."

However, when I tried to add a hyperlink to the library by clicking on the "New" button and then on "Link to a Document," the "Upload Document" window to "Browse" the document came up. It did not ask for the document URL.

I checked the "Link to a Document" content type and its parent is "Document." Thus, it seems that "Link to Document" would have the same characteristics as its parent, which is a "Document," which does not work for me.

I then created a content type that has a web link as a parent (Document Link). However, when I go the the document library settings, it does not show on the drop down so that I can add it as a content type to the library.

I do not know what else to try...

Thanks so much for your reply.

Best,

Ramldsm

Ramldsm

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Ok, lets create a new content type with following parameters

Select parent content type from: Document Content Types
    Parent Content Type: Link to document 

This will create a new content type as below

Name: MyLink 
    Description:  
    Parent: Link to a Document 
    Group: Custom Content Types 

Remember the group you have selected for the new content type and then try to add it on doc lib.

Also check behavior by adding any other content type in the same doc lib 

Please let us know the results after above testing, thanks

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi Pratik Vyas,

Done...But, it did not work.

As you suggested, I created a new content type call "My Link" by:

Going to "Site Settings"

-Cliking on "Site Content Types"

-Clicking on te "Create" button on top of the page

-Name: My Link

-Description: Hyperlink to document

-Parent Content Type from: Document Content Types

-Parent Content Type: Link to Document

-Existing Group: Custom Content Type

I then added "My Link" to the content type of the library and it is now an option under "New." However, when I click on it, it comes up as if I was uploading a "word" document and not a URL link.

I need to somehow change it to ask for an URL link.

Many thanks for you reply.

Best,

Ramldsm

Ramldsm

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:46 PM
  • ok, what about if you add any other content type? did you try it ? Is this for a single site or this is the same behavior in farm ?

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Good Morning Pratik Vyas,

I added all the content types that were available on the drop down menu in the "Document Library Setting" for the document library, such as Basic Page, Form, FD Document, My Link (I've just created), Pictures, Master Page and others. I noticed that the only content types that were available on the drop down menu were those that have "Document" as a parent. The content types that have either "link" or "web link" did not show up on the drop down menu.

In each/every case, the content types that I added appeared in the library's "New" button as a "Word document." When I clicked on any of the newly added content types, it took me directly to the "Microsoft Word" program, which is no good...

There must be a way to have both content types, documents and linsk, in the document library.

Thanks very much for your reply and all your help.

Best,

Ramldsm

Ramldsm

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:23 PM
  • You need to change the Content Type order for the New menu to list the MyLink content type at the top. Then the hyperlink-based content-type will be the default.

You can do this from the Library Settings page using the "Change new button order and default content type" link

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Hi, 

I have the same issue, did you find a solution ?

BR,

Christophe

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:56 AM
  • How can I create a link (shortcut) in a SharePoint library that I can access via the web as well as explorer view?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:23 PM