none
Inserting Subprojects as "Read-Only" RRS feed

• Question

• In MS2010, I've inserted a subproject (Install Foundation) into a (Build a House) master project (both files in the same folder) as a "read-only" insertion.  Once I did that, I linked a predecessor task (design foundation) in the master project to a successor task (mobilize) in the subproject, and then linked a predecessor subtask (remove forms) back to a successor task (erect first floor) in the master project. I find that when I make changes to the visible (read-only) subproject tasks those changes are allowed and passed through to the subproject.  

This is my first time trying to link and use subprojects and I guess I was not expecting to be able to change any data related to the subproject from WITHIN the master project, since it was entered as "read-only".  Is this supposed to be able to happen?

Thanks,

Bill

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill, much like opening a word document in Read-only, you can change the content, but you will find you cannot save the file with the same name.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:37 PM
  • Bill,

In addition to Ben's straightforward explanation let me add some relevant information about linked structures in Project, since this is your first foray into that "realm".

Linked structures in Project are fragile and prone to corruption if not managed properly. Do not rename, move, overwrite or "save off" to a different location any of the files in the linked structure. Ideally all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. Adding inter-project links between tasks raises the chance for corruption since it creates a secondary link structure (i.e. master/subproject and inter-project links).

If you make a change to the master or subproject at any level you should always save all files in the structure to preserve the link integrity, otherwise link "fragments" can be created and lead to corruption. If for some reason you want to do a read only operation, I suggest you do not save any changes when you are done (i.e. the edits were for a "what if" scenario).

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill, much like opening a word document in Read-only, you can change the content, but you will find you cannot save the file with the same name.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:37 PM
  • Bill,

In addition to Ben's straightforward explanation let me add some relevant information about linked structures in Project, since this is your first foray into that "realm".

Linked structures in Project are fragile and prone to corruption if not managed properly. Do not rename, move, overwrite or "save off" to a different location any of the files in the linked structure. Ideally all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. Adding inter-project links between tasks raises the chance for corruption since it creates a secondary link structure (i.e. master/subproject and inter-project links).

If you make a change to the master or subproject at any level you should always save all files in the structure to preserve the link integrity, otherwise link "fragments" can be created and lead to corruption. If for some reason you want to do a read only operation, I suggest you do not save any changes when you are done (i.e. the edits were for a "what if" scenario).

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:57 PM
  • Thank you Ben, I see what you mean. 

I also note that, in saving any changes to the subproject, which creates a new subproject-A, the master project updates the referenced subproject to the newly-named "saved-as" subproject-A, disconnecting the link and reference to the originally linked subproject.

And thank you John for the cautionary remarks about management of the base files.

Bill

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:12 PM
  • Bill,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:37 PM