none
Cross Post: Experiencing Rendering Problem in Hyper-V Instance RRS feed

Answers

• FWIW this seems to be a problem in Windows 10 v1803 and appears to be solved in v1809 with all the latest updates on both host and guest.
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:50 AM
    • Edited by Mike-EEE Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:51 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:50 AM

All replies

• I can understand why you haven't received much of a response.  You do not provide any explanation of the problem, how you have things configured, what you are attempting to do.  The video, without audio does not show me much of anything.  Here is an excellent article on how to post to a technical forum - http://sincealtair.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-ask-questions-in-technical-forum.html

Here is a technical forum that is specific to Excel - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=excel.  From your post I have no idea where the problem is occurring, but it sounds like you are having some issue related to Excel.  That is where I would start.

tim

Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply, Tim.  At least there's someone out there that still reads these forums. 😁

You do not provide any explanation of the problem, how you have things configured, what you are attempting to do.

Perhaps I should post a link to how to read questions posted in technical forums, Tim. 😂😂😂  Just clowning.  But in my post, I do describe the problem.  Here it is in quotes, for your simplicity:

"I've been encountering a rather annoying issue with Excel 365 for some time now, whenever I restore out of my Hyper-V instance and return back to it.  The rendering is always out of place and I have to do some weird cursor placement to restore it as expected."

The video shows you exactly what occurs within my Hyper-V instance, exactly how I see it.  I put my Hyper-V Virtual Machine into full screen (black) and then restore back out of that full screen.  I also describe this in my post.

Seeing on how this only occurs in Hyper-V, I am apt to believe this is a Hyper-V-Centric issue now, but I will also post in that forum as well.  Thanks for the pointer. :)

Sunday, October 28, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Hi Michael, 

I'll reply you on this thread to focus on our current issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cffa1656-1e51-4e95-ad50-42d6690ee5f0/cross-post-resize-window-frame-and-not-its-contents?forum=winserverhyperv

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 29, 2018 8:18 AM
  • Your video (no audio to say what steps are being performed) shows some clicking around to various cells on a spreadsheet.  It does not show any data entry - simply looks like someone selecting random cells.  Audio of what you were doing and what you were 'correcting' would have been helpful.

Your problem statement does not mention what Hyper-V (client or server because there are differences in user interfaces and different forums) you are using nor does it mention what OS is running in the VM.  You don't state if this is an issue only with Excel 365 or if it happening with everything in the VM.  If it is happening only with Excel 365, it seems logical to post the query to Excel 365 experts rather than Windows/Hyper-V Server experts.

I've re-read your posts several times and re-watched your video several times.  I'm still not sure what you are trying to describe.  It sounds like maybe you are expecting some sort of full screen refresh of all content displayed by all applications, in particular, Excel 365.  Is that what you are describing?  If so, it really does sound like something that would be the responsibility of Excel 365.  And there, it might be dependent upon how you are putting your VM into/out of full screen mode.  If you are simply clicking the maximize/minimize buttons on the VM window, then I would not be surprised if applications do not detect that.

tim

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:08 PM
  • There is no data entry, Tim.  That's why I call it a rendering issue and not a data entry issue.  I simply open up Excel while I am in VM full screen and then exit out of VM full screen.  Restoring back into full screen creates the rendering issue, which I spend time clicking around to resolve. 

I have only seen this in Excel 365 and not in any other application that I have used, Office or otherwise.

As I have mentioned, the video captures exactly as it appears on my screen, exactly as I see it.  I have to click around to restore the rendering back to what it is supposed to look like, as (again) I described in my initial post.

I have seen this occur on both server and client Hyper-v.  As I mentioned in another thread, I used to run Windows Server 2016 and have recently moved to Windows 10.  Both exhibited this problem and now that I am investing time tweaking my environment to perfection, I thought I would spend some time on this issue to see if I can get it identified and resolved.

To hopefully provide you some further context with my expectations, I am expecting the Excel interface to look exactly like it did before I jump out of full screen and when I re-enter.  Jumping out of full screen (or entering it) should not affect the rendering of the application, exactly how it is for every other application that I use in Hyper-V.

Monday, October 29, 2018 6:27 PM
  • "I have only seen this in Excel 365 and not in any other application that I have used, Office or otherwise."

That should tell you something right there.  If it is not happening with other applications, it sounds like you need to ask the Excel 365 people why this is happening.

tim

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:32 PM
  • LOL... I did, Tim.  As I stated in my original post I haven't heard a reply in nearly a month which is why I found myself here.  Hyper-V is clearly another factor to consider, as Excel 365 renders just fine in a root/host/non-virtualized environment. :)
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:08 PM
  • "Hyper-V is clearly another factor to consider, as Excel 365 renders just fine in a root/host/non-virtualized environment."

Yes, Hyper-V is a component here.  But, it is Excel that is not picking up the fact that the Hyper-V window was resized.  Hyper-V is not responsible for proper implementation of every user interface for every application.  It will make available to developers the information, but if the application developers are not looking at the information, Hyper-V cannot do anything.

If this is important to you, you should open a support ticket with the Excel 365 support team.

tim

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:26 PM
  • But, it is Excel that is not picking up the fact that the Hyper-V window was resized

Are we 100% sure that is the problem?  Part of the reason in reaching out into other forums was to see if there are any other considerations (configurations, anomalies, etc) that are known issues in Hyper-V (or otherwise).

If this is important to you, you should open a support ticket with the Excel 365 support team.

Typically what I have seen is that a user posts a question and a moderator/agent on Answers gets in touch with the Excel support team.  I am unaware of any support ticketing system for Excel 365.  A link to supplement your directive would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:39 PM
  • "Are we 100% sure that is the problem? "

What I am sure about is that Hyper-V does not perform any in application rendering.  Hyper-V is not even aware of the applications that are running on the OS instance.  I've been working on/supporting systems since 1970.  That means I have seen too many things to ever feel comfortable saying that I am '100% sure' about anything.  But I feel confident to say I am 99.999% sure about this one.

Do you have a support contract with Microsoft?  I am not aware of a specific support ticketing system for any specific product.  A call to Microsoft support will get you directed to the proper support organization within Microsoft.  Yes, there are times when a person will talk about contacting product management.  For example, I know several product managers in Windows Server, Clustering, and Hyper-V, but those are informal connections instead of official support channel.  I don't know anybody over in the Office space, and a post to the Hyper-V forum is highly unlikely to turn up someone with an informal connection to an Excel product manager.

tim

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:49 PM
  • FWIW this seems to be a problem in Windows 10 v1803 and appears to be solved in v1809 with all the latest updates on both host and guest.
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:50 AM
    • Edited by Mike-EEE Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:51 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:50 AM