Simple Recovery mode for Sharedservices_DB in production environments? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

SharePoint creates the Sharedservices_DB and the SharedServices_SearchDB in simple recovery mode - all the other databases are created in full recovery mode

In our production environment the DBAs have recently set the recovery mode for the Sharedservices_DB and the SharedServices_SearchDB to simple mode - now we are finding that the Transaction logs are growing to huge sizes and not truncating

I am tempted to reset the recovery mode to simple - the only shared service we use is Search and my thinking is that in the event of failure we could recover by restoring the DBs and then running a full crawl (and a user profile import)

Is my thinking sound? Or should the DBs be run in Full recovery mode in production - and if so why then does SharePoint create them in simple mode by default?

Cheers

Jonj

Monday, January 10, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think it is required to set recovery mode to FULL. You can change all databases in "simple" mode if you are taking the backup of database regularly.

Refer this for more information on this topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jjameson/archive/2008/01/18/default-recovery-models-for-sharepoint-databases.aspx

http://geekswithblogs.net/RogueCoder/archive/2008/06/03/122588.aspx

Hope this will help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response however this doesn't answer my question. The links outline 1 - the default recovery mode settings for SharePoint databases, which I'm already aware of and 2 - how to change the recovery mode, which I also know

What I don't know is whether using the Simple recovery mode for the Sharedservices_DB and the SharedServices_SearchDB in a production environment is adhering to SharePoint best practice. It seems to cause creation of very large transaction logs that do not get truncated - is that why it is created in simple mode by default?

Cheers

Jonj

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:22 AM