Problems displaying excel 2010 spreadsheets in sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• In a SP 2007 (service pack 1) doc library, a user has uploaded a series of Excel 2010 spreadsheets. When users click on the title, they generate the error

'The server is configured to use Impersonation to access workbooks but impersonation cannot be used when the communication between the Excel Calculation Services and Excel Web Access is set to use a Trusted Subsystem'

When I look at the document library settings, it is set to open spreadsheets in the client application. The users have Excel 2010 installed on their machine. In fact, when I am logged into sharepoint as admin, I am able to open the document in Excel 2010. However, if I am logged in as my normal id, or others in their normal id, attempt to access the file, we get the above error.

In looking at the farm's central admin settings, I see File Access Method as impersonation. I see connection encryption as "not required". I don't see where the trusted subset is set though.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• Iwvirden,

Check this article to see if it helps: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc514223(v=office.12).aspx (specifically the section titled "Configuring External Data Connections" and Figure 3 within that.).  It sounds as though the Excel spreadsheets are designed to access data from some other sources, so you may need to create an external data connection between SharePoint (through the Shared Services Administration site) and that source so that SharePoint knows how to properly connect to it.

Hope that helps,
    Chanda

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:28 PM
  • We are not getting an error about a failure relating to external data connections. The error that the user gets is that the file is not found - even though it in fact exists in the document library.  The only error the admins get is the error about impersonation and trusted subsystem. I don't see those mentioned in the article mentioned.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:30 PM
  • I just talked to the author of the spreadsheet. He indicated that the spreadsheet is 3 worksheets - one that contains data, and the other two which are graph visualizations of that data.  There are no external data sources, no URLs to external data, etc.

If he opens one of these files, saves the file out as excel 2003, and uploads it to the same doc library, users have no problem accessing the file. However, he would prefer to be able to use excel 2010 when he saves the docs, to make use of some of the new styles that are available.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Okay, in reading http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263086(office.12).aspx I notice that if one is going to use trusted locations that are UNC or HTTP, kerberos must be used. It turns out that those who set up excel services here set the trusted location as HTTP, even though it really is Windows SharePoint Services. I changed that, and the error message I am getting now is different.

Now I get the message

Unable to Load Workbook
    Error The workbook that you selected cannot be opened.

The workbook may be in an unsupported file format, or it may be corrupt.

Would you like to try and open this file in Excel? 

When I click the yes button, Excel 2010 is launched with the spreadsheet.

So we are a step closer to what we are trying to achieve. Is this a SharePoint 2007 (service pack 1) error message that is familar to anyone?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Check if the document is published or not.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:26 PM
  • This site does not have sharepoint publishing features turned on.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:44 PM
  • I have a new piece of information that may help shed light.

When the Excel 2010 spreadsheet is uploaded into a SP 2007 DOCUMENT library, it opens without a problem. However, if it is uploaded into a REPORT library, then we get the message about "file is unsupported or corrupt".

I didn't create the library initially and didn't realize until about 5 minutes ago that the library wasn't a doc library.

The intent for the library was for people to upload reports, in various formats (word, pdf, excel, powerpoint). It was a natural assumption for the creator to make.  However, now excel 2010 docs don't open cleanly.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this (other than recreating the library)?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:55 PM