How do we clear the screen saver without disrupting any foreground activities? RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes when I want to take away the screen saver I hit some key on the keyboard so that I can view what the foreground tasks are doing and where they are up to.  Some keys won't make any difference.  Some keys work but also stop the foreground tasks and I have to re-start the tasks again.  Could you please tell me what keys will safely clear the screen saver and won't interrupt the tasks on hand?  I appreciate information for all Windows operating systems perhaps from Windows 2000 through windows 7.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:44 AM

Answers

• The first key press will only interrupt the screensaver, because the screensaver has focus and runs in a isolated virtual desktop.  To prevent your keypress from "touching" a foreground task, be careful not to hold the key or touch it again.  The easiest way to dismiss the screensaver is the Ctrl key, because it by itself cannot interfere with any task.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• The first key press will only interrupt the screensaver, because the screensaver has focus and runs in a isolated virtual desktop.  To prevent your keypress from "touching" a foreground task, be careful not to hold the key or touch it again.  The easiest way to dismiss the screensaver is the Ctrl key, because it by itself cannot interfere with any task.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I tested again on two Windows 7 computer systems.  I tried using the "Enter" key and space bar, both stopped the process of copying files without any warning or prompting.  The control key does work though.

I had supposed any key would work like earlier Windows operating systems.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:18 PM
  • The Ctrl key will dismiss any of the screensavers that are provided with Windows 7.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:46 AM