Windows Explorer Search Results Without Path - What's That? RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes when I search files using Windows Explorer the search results only show file names surrounded by a 1 pixel border each but without any file path. I can only open the file but I'm not able to open the containing folder.

What are these "special" search results?

Here's an example:

Having Windows 7 Server + WSS installed, I've been searching for "onet.xml" in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12" folder.

The result is six ONET.XML files, all surrounded by a border but without any path.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

• The normal results should be look like this:

We can see the location under file name and open the folder in right menu "Open file location".

If you cannot see the similar result on your computer, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• In Windows 7 the (typically truncated) path is normally shown below the filename.  I take it you're seeing just the filename with no path at all below it.

Can you do a screenshot?

What is the root from which you're starting the search (i.e., what folder is selected when you start)?

If you hold the Shift key down and right-click the filename, then choose Copy as Path, then paste that path into Notepad or similar, what do you see?

-Noel

P.S., when I search for ext:xml I see what looks like a little bit of the XML file as a preview under the name and before the path...  Is it possible the file you're finding is just blank, and there is a lot of space between the filename and the path?

P.P.S., Try searching for filename:onet.xml
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:00 AM
  • The normal results should be look like this:

We can see the location under file name and open the folder in right menu "Open file location".

If you cannot see the similar result on your computer, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Oh guys, I have to apologize ...

This is really weird, but ... I'm usually having my Windows Explorer Detail view arranged in a way that all information is visible... But this time I must have expanded the search stream file name column accidentally. And it expanded so much that the Folder column was hidden beyond the right side of the search results... I just would have had to scroll to the right to see the path...

Oh oh... I got so much used to my layout I just didn't even think of srolling the results panel to the right..

And, apparently I got so much confused that I even didn't read the context menu to the end. In earlier versions of Windows the "Open file location" menu item was the second top item in the context menu. I just didn't seem to expect it that low....

Sorry for bothering you with that error of mine... I can't explain to myself why both these details slipped my mind...

However, I usually have deselected the "Save each folder's settings" in the Windows Explorer folder options. But it seems this option has been gone in the current version of Windows 7 ... I guess that's what caused the confusion. I'm used to lose my temporary column width settings whenever I close a Windows Explorer window.

I'm sorry.... And merry Christmas!
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:36 AM