none
Dependency tasks at one place RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using project standard 2010. Wanted to check for the following.

I have created a master plan with 4 projects; to ease out what i did was copied 4 plans on a single plan with the 4 projects names as the first level tasks

IF there are are tasks within the 4 projects whose tasks are to happen at the same time or if the tasks have dependency , how best can i show them , so that the managers find it easier, the predecessors do work but for a naive manager who knows business got to convince them. so seeking advise

Thanks,mp

Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Why just not simply use the column headers filters? You could use the predecessors column filter unchecking all none blank values and the start filter on the appropriate date. Note that in Project 2010, the date column header filters propose indented values easier to select.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Max_Pin,

Although using the auto-filters as Guillaume suggests is one approach, if there are a lot of simultaneous tasks and/or many dependencies, unchecking items in the auto-filter may be a little tedious for a novice manager. Let me offer an alternate approach.

Use the built-in Date Range filter to select the time period. Use a split view (View/Split view/Details) and select the Relationship Diagram for the lower pane. The filtered view will show all tasks in the date range and when a given task in the upper pane is selected, the predecessors and successors to that task will appear in the low pane.

But either way, a little training for your managers can go a long way in helping them understand.

John

Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:08 PM