Win2008R2 : MMC could not create some snap-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Some weeks ago, I noticed on my DC (Windows 2008 R2 x64 running in a VM on Hyper-V) that I could no more use Server Manager. The MMC starts, but gives this error :

MMC could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
         Name: Server Manager
         CLSID: FX:{18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb}

I read many threads, tried many things, even a full Windows 2008 R2 repair process, but the problem was always there.

Yesterday,  I needed to modify a GPO, GPMC MMC starts, but when I try to edit a GPO in Group Policy Objects folder, I get this error in Settings tab :

An error occurred while generating report:
         The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

So I tried to launch Event Viewer, but... :

MMC could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
         Name: Event Viewer
         CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

As many threads about these errors are .NET 2.0 oriented, I tried to reinstall it. But now it's an OS feature, and I need to use... Server Manager to modify .NET 2.0 !!!

CheckSUR.log is below, but is OK :

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
    Package Version 15.0
    2012-06-25 08:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 378
     No errors detected

Any help welcome

Regards

Christian

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Christian,

Please try to import the key in safe mode.

How to start in Safe mode
    1) Print these instructions before you go to step 2). They will not be available after you shut down the computer in step 2.
    2) Restart your computer.
    3) Use the F8 key. On a computer that is configured to start to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when you see the Startup menu.
    4) Use the arrow keys to select a Safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
    Note: NUM LOCK functionality must be turned off for the arrow keys on the numeric keypad to work.
    5) If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, use the arrow/2keys to select the installation that you want to access, and then press ENTER. 

Best regards,

Ruby Cheng

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:58 AM

All replies

• Take a look at the following link. Also, if you install .NET 3.5 does it correct the issue?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/03/11/mmc-could-not-create-the-snap-in-18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb.aspx

MCITP: Enterprise / Server Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCP | MCDST

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Hello Tom,

I first tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2486109 : Server Manager MMC is always in error after both solutions (I already tested the rename/copy of machine.config)

When I try to install Framework .NET 3.5 SP1 (Full Package) - dotnetfx35.exe, ... nothing occurs ??? The package uncompress itself, but nothing runs afterwards ??? And I do not find any .NET 3.5 in Add/Remove, to try to uninstall or repair it as proposed in some threads.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Do you receive any errors in the application event logs that the package failed to start?  Try right-clicking on the dotnetfx35.exe package and choose 'Run as Administrator' and see if that launches the installer after uncompressing.

MCITP: Enterprise / Server Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCP | MCDST

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Unfortunately, as I wrote in my opening post, Event Viewer MMC is also in error :

So I tried to launch Event Viewer, but... :

Name: Event Viewer
         CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

I already tried 'Run as Administrator' with no more success. I tried new times with Task Manager opened, and I didn't see any new process starting.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Did you run the System Update Readiness Tool?

Download and install the tool which runs automatically. From the KB below choose your OS version (x64 Win 2k8R2).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

While the tool is installing it checks for any inconsistencies or errors in the environment. Should take about 15 minutes or so to complete the installation.

After it complets it generates log files and in there it should show any errors that have occurred. If you can paste the errors after the tool has been run.

%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:38 PM
  • As I found this tool in many posts I have read before opening mine, I already ran it and CheckSUR.log is at the end of my first post, and shows no error

Here is CheckSUR.persist.log, and it contains no error.

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
    Package Version 15.0
    2012-06-25 08:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 378
     No errors detected

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the following troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Click Start, in the Start Search box type "mmc" and press Enter.

2. Click "File->Add/Remove Snap-ins".

3. In the box of "Selected Snap-ins", please click on and remove all entries except "Console root".

If the issue persists, you may also try to rename all the mmc.exe.config files in windows\system32 folder.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying your suggestions, but when I launch the mmc, it is already empty, no entries are listed Under "Console Root".

If I try to add Server Manager, I get a pop-up with this message :

MMC cannot initialize the snap-in.

Name: Server Manager
         CLSID: FX:{18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb}

And same when I try to add Event Viewer (with CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}).

I do not find any mmc.exe.config file in Windows\System32 folder or Windows\SysWOW64 or elsewhere in C:\ ??? (system and protected files are not hidden)

I created one mmc.exe.config in SysWOW64 with these lines (example found in a Citrix forum), but the errors are always there :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <runtime>
    <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" />
    </runtime>
    </configuration>

Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Hi Christian,

I’ve learned that you received error “MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.”. When we open mmc, there is no enntires listed under Console Root. 

Based on my knowledge and experiece, it may due to some registry keys are missing from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns or corrupt machine.config file: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

Please follow the suggestions below to try solve this issue:

1. Back up registy key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns and file C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config.

2. Import the registry from a working server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns

3. Replace the file from a working server.
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

Best regards,

Ruby Cheng

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Hi Ruby,

I tried both registry key and machine.config replacements, but unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem :(

Perhaps because when I try to import the registry, I get this error despite nothing is open

And I cannot open Event Viewer...

I can send you Reg Keys and machine.config from both servers ?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hi Christian,

Please try to import the key in safe mode.

How to start in Safe mode
    1) Print these instructions before you go to step 2). They will not be available after you shut down the computer in step 2.
    2) Restart your computer.
    3) Use the F8 key. On a computer that is configured to start to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when you see the Startup menu.
    4) Use the arrow keys to select a Safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
    Note: NUM LOCK functionality must be turned off for the arrow keys on the numeric keypad to work.
    5) If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, use the arrow/2keys to select the installation that you want to access, and then press ENTER. 

Best regards,

Ruby Cheng

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hi Christian,

How are you?  Any updates about the issue?

Best regards,

Ruby Cheng

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:16 AM
  • I'm getting the same error message when I try to import those keys in safe mode.  Event Viewer and other snap-ins are still not loading..

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I've having the same issue, 2008 R2 I get the CLSID: FX:{18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb} error when server manager loads. Cannot add most snap-ins when I run MMC.

I've trie Renaming the Default machine.config, coping it from another maching, exporting a working Registry key "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns]" (won't let me import).

I've removed and reinstalled .NET 3.5 a few times, I've tried installing and removing .NET 4, I've checked permissions etc..., CheckSUR logs are good.

Nothing is working, most of the responses on forums are for 2003 or 2008/x64 not 2008 R2 this obviously has a different cause.

This is the B node of a cluster, the A node is not having any issues. I need this fixed, hopefully without rebuilding it.

Thanks

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:45 PM
  • ok - I'm in the boat too - it seems most of the information i found is for older OS -

One note is that for 2008 R2 i believe the mmc.exe.config file is not created anymore - i checked a few of my servers and none of them have this file. This looks like some update has broken .net and all the usual tools to undo the damage rely on .net

I still have a few things to try (re-install .net and registry) but i suspect that its the same problem

Looking forward to Microsofts solution to this and hopefully quickly

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:32 PM
  • After talking to Microsoft it would seem this is a .net framework 2 (2.5) issue, there is a faulting dll; Mscorwks.dll which appears in the event log if you access the problem server's event log from another server.

The solution was a hotfix kb2688730;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688730

which in my case updated that dll from 2.0.50727.5456

to 2.0.50727.5723

there are also other files which are updated, and i don't know if the file above is the real culprit, but the hotfix fixed the issue, be aware that it requires a reboot.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I am also facing the same error. Unfortunately this does not apply to .net framework 2 issue as i am having a 3.5 on my server. i have tried everything; changing the machine.config file but it does not resolve the issue. importing the registry keys in safe mode still does not allow me to import the keys. i'm really lost here, is there any resolution to this?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:56 AM
  • On the computer can you look at the location;

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 (or wherever your system drive is)

see if you have a folder 'v2.0.50727', if you do see if you have the file mscorwks.dll and what version you have.

If you have 2008R2 then you have .net 2, 3 & 3.5.

Have you tried the hotfix i linked to?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Hi TwoJ, I have the file mscorwks.dll inside the v2.0.50727. I'm not really sure how to see what version it is.

Yes, I have .net 2, 3 and 3.5. Yes, I have also tried to run the hotfix, but it simply says something like "the update does not apply to this computer". I still cannot resolve the issue :(

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:43 AM
  • If you right-click the file - go to properties and then the details tab, it should say the version.

What led me to the solution was to access the event viewer and see what was appearing in there when trying to open any mmc windows (event viewer, server manager, etc). While the event viewer was not possible to access on the affected machine, I was able to open the event viewer on another server and connect to the affected server. In the event viewer you can go 'Action->Connect to another computer'.

Just to confirm; the problem you are having is on a Windows 2008 R2 computer?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:57 AM
  • Yes TwoJ, the problem exists on a Windows 2008 R2 computer. I will try out the event viewer via another server today. Thanks for the tip. I will post back soon. Thanks for helping!
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:35 AM
  • I realize it has been 4 months since your post, but did you get this resolved?  I have the same issue with a 2008 R2 server.  Third party software attempted to install DotNet 3.5 as part of it's prerequisites and now none of the snap-ins work.  I have been working on this for several months with no positive results.  ANY help from Microsoft would be great.  This issue has been around for YEARS, with most folks giving up and reloading their servers.  I don't view that as a viable option in a production environment.
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I highly recommend that you do a bit of the diagnostic work yourself to see what the issue is, however Microsoft is suppose to provide free support for their hotfixes. So that was the way i ended up getting that hotfix was by calling their support number, as long as the hotfix broke it they should be able to provide free support to fix it.

However they may require you uninstall/re-install .net and your 3rd party program so its hard to do if its a production machine so be prepared.

There is also usually a list of .net dlls and what the lasted versions are - if you google around you should find it easily.

Hope that helps

Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:10 PM