Messages to Certain Domain Queued? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Small Business Server 2003:

A few employees have forwarded me NDR messages they are getting when they try to email a certain domain.  All other customers and domains are not having a problem.  But this ONE domain they're sending messages to isn't working.  I checked the message Queue and the server seems to have created a queue for this one domain and messages are stuck in it.  I checked the event logs and I'm getting some SMTPSVC errors saying that there is a problem with the DNS via UPD connection.  I haven't changed anything on the server with regards to Exchange settings.  This just popped up out of the blue.  It's ONLY happening for this one domain so I don't get it.

Any ideas?  Our IP address isn't listed in any of the popular greylists like Spamhaus, etc.  This is one of our major clients, so I'm getting a lot of heat.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:08 AM

All replies

• If the mail was working before and now it is not working it is the issue from other side.

confirm you are able to send the mail from outside your domain and get in touch with the messaging admin of the partner.

You can lso force the messges in the queue and check for the errors. if you get the error you can confirm what is stopping the messages from getting there

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:03 AM
    1. What the reason for the queue?
    2. Up the SMTP logging and check what the logs say
    3. Could be that you may have to register PTR reccords or make sure they are correct.
    4. Send from hotmaill or similar and test.

Sukh
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:37 PM
  • From your gateway server do a telnet test to send mail to them, it will show why they're not accepting.

XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:40 PM
  •  

I have no reason why there is a queue set up.  I didn't create it so I assume the server did automatically.

I turned on SMTP logging just now and set it to hourly.  What boxes, if any, should I check under the "Advanced" tab?  Do I need to restart anything or will it start logging automatically?  It looks like it did create a placeholder log file in the directory I specified.

I'm also noticing the following in the Event Viewer that I've never seen before:

Netlogon warning:
    Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'MYDOMAIN.local.' failed.  These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition). 

I get three of these, one for MYDOMAIN (hidden for privacy), one for DomainDnsZones.MYDOMAIN.local, and a third for ForestDnsZones.MYDOMAIN.local.

Right after that I get two SMTVSVC warnings that say:

SMTP could not connect to the DNS server 'x.x.x.x'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible.
    SMTP could not connect to the DNS server 'x.x.x.y'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible.

The first is the primary DNS server and the second, the secondary.  Just after that I get a SMTPSVC error that says:

SMTP could not connect to any DNS server. Either none are configured, or all are down.

Obviously the DNS settings are working!  I can resolve host names on that server and I'm not having issues sending email to other addresses/servers.  Any ideas what's going on?  The client the messages are going into the queue with as a HUGE client, I highly doubt their email servers are down.  I tested by pulling their MX records and telnetting to one of their mail servers on port 25 and it seemed fine.

Any ideas?  I'm hoping to have this resolved by Monday, or at least beginning of the week.

Thanks!
    • Edited by Chromag Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:25 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:22 PM
    1. What do the SMTP logs say when you try and send the email to this domain?
    2. Checked your PTR records?
    3. Can you resolve the MX records for that domain from your Exch server?
    4. Do you send using DNS or smarthost?
    5. Have you performed the test suggested by James?

Sukh
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:36 PM