none
Support for standalone RDX Drives in 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Are RDX drives supported by DPM 2012 and if so, can a few people confirm particular models or brands they are successfully using?

This question has been asked a few times but the answer is still unclear. The usual answer is no, but there are a couple of threads on this forum that suggest there are users running RDX drives in production.

From doing some research it appears some RDX drives appear as a USB drive (HP) and therefore don't work, but other brands may emulate a tape drive and therefore emulate DPM. Some clarification based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

Please note we are only interested in standalone drives, we do not have the budget to run to autoloaders or libraries.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

RDX Drive based appliances that emulate a tape library should work with DPM for tape based backups.  You would need to run the DPM library checker tool from here.

Verifying tape library compatibility
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733581.aspx

If it does not emulate a tape library, but instead is presented as removable media, then DPM cannot use it natively for DPM Storage pool, however, you could use it for hosting virtual tape media for software based virtual tape libraries like FireStreamer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Thank you for your response, but this does not in any way answer my original question.

From my original question, I think it is quite obvious that I already understand the distinction between drives which appear as USB vs. emulating tape drives.

From doing some research it appears some RDX drives appear as a USB drive (HP) and therefore don't work, but other brands may emulate a tape drive and therefore emulate DPM. Some clarification based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

The question is what are examples of RDX drives that emulate tape drives? This information is not readily available and from the views of this question on this forum it suggests we are not the only ones interested. I am also aware of the DPM library checker tool.

The problem is, we would have to already own the drives first to be able to run that tool. So we would be looking at spending many thousands of dollars on several different drives to "see" if they might work with DPM, and we might find that none of them actually work. Clearly this is not a viable option.

Should I take it from your response that "theoretically" DPM should work with RDX drives but that Microsoft has not tested it with a single one of them and therefore wants to wipe their hands of actually trying to support this scenario?

Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I know you were wanting info from others using them.  considering the lack of feedback from the community I thought a reply would help put it back at the top for more eyes to see. Considering their limited use, not sure others have tried them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:03 PM