Allow Control Panel to Scroll Sideways RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everybody,

is there any solution to get a horizontal scroll bar in control panel / network & connection center when i downsize this window?
    Otherwise the symbols get compressed and you can't read the words because they are kind of "interupped". I already tried several things for hours to fix this problem, but i couldn't find the right answer.

Thanks,

regards
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:39 AM

All replies

• I agree, that is kind of retarded:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7531/shot.png
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:10 PM
  • It seems that a vertical scroll bar is all you can get.

It used to be that List view was available.  Then you got a horizontal scroll bar.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:25 AM
  • @ Mr. Seven: Thats exactly what i mean! Thankyou for the link!

Is there maybe a possibility to activate a horizontal scrollbar via regedit or the vista-like "automatic scroll" ? I mean this is the final build and imo it's an annoying bug..

regards
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Maximizing the page or make a shortcut to the items on you frequently use. The page is housed in a dynamic link library and would have to be revised by whoever has the uncompiled components to it - the Microsoft developers.  

Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Hello everybody,

is there any solution to get a horizontal scroll bar in control panel / network & connection center when i downsize this window?
    Otherwise the symbols get compressed and you can't read the words because they are kind of "interupped". I already tried several things for hours to fix this problem, but i couldn't find the right answer.

Thanks,

regards
    Hi

There is no way to change this, that I'm aware of. This was first changed in Windows Vista, Im not sure why, but it may have something to do with the theme templates.

You can only resize most of the Control Panel component windows to a width of about half the screen without anything disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Ronnie, I can get a horizontal scroll bar in Vista.

As I said, this only works for list view.  All other views will show a vertical scroll bar.

In Windows 7, the only views available are Large Icons, Small Icons, and Categories.  If I squeeze the window small enough, I get a vertical scroll bar for any of these views.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Hi, unfortunately the list view or other view-options aren't available for these (control panel-) windows. They are all grey marked.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hi, unfortunately the list view or other view-options aren't available for these (control panel-) windows. They are all grey marked.
    In Vista?

I see them normally in my Vista.

In Windows 7, you are right.  They are grey and unselectable.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Yes you are right, in Vista they are selectable but not in Win 7..
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:06 AM
  • I can get the horizontal scroll bar with list view but only on the main control panel and not with the network and sharing conections page which is the one that looks squished when the window is minimally sized, list view is greyed out - only because that was the page the OP wanted to find out about. I observed this on Vista SP2. 
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:17 AM
  • I can get the horizontal scroll bar with list view but only on the main control panel and not with the network and sharing conections page which is the one that looks squished when the window is minimally sized, list view is greyed out - only because that was the page the OP wanted to find out about. I observed this on Vista SP2. 

I see the same behavior in Vista with the Network and Sharing center. All of the view options are greyed out and the view is set to Tiles. But if you click the View Full Map option there, then you can get the horizontal scroll bar. This indicates that it is the template for that component that impedes the scrolling.

Regards,

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:10 PM
  • There is a horizontal scroll bar for View Full Map. I suspect the programers inadvertently did not include a scroll bar for network sharing and as a result reducing the window size produces the squishing effect.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Why is mine different?

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:47 PM
  • is this a screenschot of vista or win7?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 10:41 AM
  • is this a screenschot of vista or win7?
    That one is from Server 2008.

I also tried it in Vista and it looked the same, except there was only one NIC.

About Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2:

I tried a couple of group policy settings.  Under User settings I found "Force classic Control Panel view", so I enabled it.  This created the following value:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001

Now, it behaves the same way in Windows 7 and 2008 R2.  All view states are available!

Note, I also tried "Force classic Start Menu".  Although it creates the following entry in the same key, it doesn't work.

"NoSimpleStartMenu"=dword:00000001
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:25 PM