RDS 2012 R2 - RD Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've currently an infrastructure with 2 Connection Broker in HA with RD Licensing installed on both of it.
    On one of it I've my licences CAL registred but i want to know if it is possible to use the same licence on the second server?

If yes, how can i do it?
    If no, should I buy the licenses twice?

Regards,

Kilian N.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:22 AM

Answers

• So did a real solution exist to make a Licensing HA ?

Hi,

Achieving RDS licensing high availability depends on the licensing mode.

Since Per User licensing isn’t enforced by RD licensing servers, if an RD Session Host server can contact an RD Licensing server, which is sufficient to allow a connection, even though the RD licensing server has no RDS CAL installed.

Allocation of RDS User CALs among the RD Licensing servers does not matter because they are not enforced. To simplify license management, we can install and activate all RDS User CALs on a single RD Licensing server.

High availability for an RDS deployment configured for Per Device licensing also requires multiple RD Licensing servers, but configuration is more complex because RDS Device CAL usage is enforced. If an RDS Device CAL isn’t available, then connectivity can be blocked. Because of this, we need to consider how CALs are allocated among the RD Licensing servers.

For more detailed information regarding RDS licensing high availability, please refer to this article below:

Understanding high availability for RDS

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2346349&seqNum=4

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Silentkil Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:27 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

i want to know if it is possible to use the same licence on the second server?

No, we cannot install the same RDS CALs on two/multiple licensing servers.

If no, should I buy the licenses twice?

No need, please just specify one licensing server (the one with RDS CALs installed) for Remote Desktop Session Hosts.

More information for you:

RD Licensing Configuration on Windows Server 2012

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2013/09/20/rd-licensing-configuration-on-windows-server-2012/

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:20 AM
  • Thanks you for your answer.

I think it isn't a good solution. If I have a the Broker roles installed on both server in HA i don't want that only one do the Licensing job, It's dangerous, and i don't want to separate the licenses.

So did a real solution exist to make a Licensing HA ?

Regards,

Kilian N.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:36 AM
  • So did a real solution exist to make a Licensing HA ?

Hi,

Achieving RDS licensing high availability depends on the licensing mode.

Since Per User licensing isn’t enforced by RD licensing servers, if an RD Session Host server can contact an RD Licensing server, which is sufficient to allow a connection, even though the RD licensing server has no RDS CAL installed.

Allocation of RDS User CALs among the RD Licensing servers does not matter because they are not enforced. To simplify license management, we can install and activate all RDS User CALs on a single RD Licensing server.

High availability for an RDS deployment configured for Per Device licensing also requires multiple RD Licensing servers, but configuration is more complex because RDS Device CAL usage is enforced. If an RDS Device CAL isn’t available, then connectivity can be blocked. Because of this, we need to consider how CALs are allocated among the RD Licensing servers.

For more detailed information regarding RDS licensing high availability, please refer to this article below:

Understanding high availability for RDS

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2346349&seqNum=4

Best Regards,

Amy

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Silentkil Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:27 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:18 AM