Can't start any Metro apps RRS feed

• Question

• I am running the "Release Preview (Build 8400) and I am unable to get any Metro apps started.  The apps show their splash screen and then close on their own.  This is on an upgrade from the Win8 Consumer Preview (which keeps "nothing" during the upgrade). 

In review of the event logs, I can see the following errors:
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ESENT
    Date:          2012-06-14 8:07:20 AM
    Event ID:      489
    Task Category: General
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      computer.local.domain.com
    Description:
    taskhostex (4008) WebCacheLocal: An attempt to open the file "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V24.log" for read only access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ESENT
    Date:          2012-06-14 8:07:20 AM
    Event ID:      455
    Task Category: Logging/Recovery
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      computer.local.domain.com
    Description:
    taskhostex (4008) WebCacheLocal: Error -1032 (0xfffffbf8) occurred while opening logfile C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V24.log.

On further investigation, we found that there is a process "dllhost.exe" (COM Surrogate) running under "svchost.exe" which has this file open and locked.  If I end this task Metro apps can then open with no problems.  This is occurring on two different computers we have that are running the Release Preview.

This is only occurring when logging on to our domain.  If we login locally this is not an issue.

Nick Dorak

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suspect it is related to your domain GPO. Is there any proxy GPO configured?

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Thanks, I agree its likely something to do with the GPOs.  However I can't see any errors other than the above.  I don't know what GPO would be causing this.  I guess I could test them one at a time by disabling them, but haven't had time for this kind of testing.

There are no proxy servers being configured via GPO.

Nick Dorak

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Have you ever found a fix for this Nick? I have the exact same issue. I can't find anything in GPO. All our GPO is pretty standard stuff. I also added each Policy one by one and it was working. But it still broke.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:51 PM
  • I never found the cause to this issue. Even after upgrading to the RTM we still had this issue on every Windows 8 computer and were never able to determine which GPO was causing the issue.

Nick Dorak

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Try to reset the security in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:35 AM
  • I searched for a solution all around internet and I finally find a way how to do it:

Open command prompt as admin and write:

netsh
    winhttp
    import proxy source=ie

Hope it helps, unfortunately I do not remember the source of this script.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:05 AM
  • It could be 3dr party software. Try clean boot for a test. I am also copy this metro apps issue collection here

Resolutions of Metro Apps issues in Windows 8

Situation 1: If Windows 8 was upgraded from previous windows OS, it could be 3dr party software issue for example Firefox may be setup as default internet browser. .
    Resolution 1: Make sure IE is default Internet Browser. Please refer to this post:
    How to setup default Internet Browser in Windows 8 -
    To setup an Internet Browser for example Internet Explorer as the default web
    browser, please follow these steps: 1. If you are in Start screen, ...
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16388

Resolution 2: it could be 3dr party software conflict with Windows 8. Try clean boot for troubleshooting. How to run Windows OS with a clean boot -
    With MSCONFIG, you also can configure a clean boot to disable common startup
    programs, settings, and drivers to eliminate possible software ...
    viewtopic.php?t=57
    Resolution 3: Check the Proxy settings.
    Resolution 4: Make sure Apps to run is 1024x768 (i'd recommend 1366x768)
    Resolution 5: Try to do fresh installation.

Situation 2: All apps in Windows 8 have issues.
    Resolution 1: It could be display issue. Try to install the latest video driver or switch to Microsoft driver if there is one available.
    Resolution 2: Check the Event Viewer for any errors. If you see DCOM with Event Id 10010, try to delete the OLE key and reboot. Please refer to this post: Metro apps won't start in Windows 8 preview -viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16400
    Resolution 3: It could be the hardware issue, please check device manager for any errors.
    Resolution 4: Try to logon different account or local administrator account for a test.
    Resolution 6: Do clean boot as mentioned before.

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

• Proposed as answer by chicagotech Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by NickD_CA Friday, November 16, 2012 1:11 AM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:58 PM
  • It's a fresh install off of DVD. Nothing installed on it. Just joined it to the domain. It always has the issue. I have removed all group policy and added them one by one. The problem seems random.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Event ID 489 and 455 could be permission issue. Can you to logon different user?

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:51 PM