none
Fsmo role revert back

Question

• Hi ,

currently we are doing windows server migration from win2k8 r2 to win2k12 r2 in our organization.

today using powershell i plan to transfer fsmo role which is domain naming master and schema master to updated adc as win2k12 r2, unfortunately i used -force command to transfer the roles . Remaining roles are already transfered to another ADC updated to win2k12 r2. so i planned this sunday to upgrade dc to win2k12 which is previously holding the domain naming master ans schema master. to fix this conflict what steps i should take to resolve it .

we are using single domain in our company.

Note : already our environment is updated with win2k12 r2 schema version .when i run adprep / forestprep it shows  forest-wide information has already updated.

Thanks ,

Vinoth

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

today using powershell i plan to transfer fsmo role which is domain naming master and schema master to updated adc as win2k12 r2, unfortunately i used -force command to transfer the roles .

>>>Using FORCE COMMAND? Do you mean that you seize FSMO roles to another domain controller?

If yes, a domain controller whose FSMO roles have been seized should not be permitted to communicate with existing domain controllers in the forest. In this scenario, you should either format the hard disk and reinstall the operating system on such domain controllers or forcibly demote such domain controllers on a private network and then remove their metadata on a surviving domain controller in the forest by using the ntdsutil /metadata cleanup command.

To upgrade domain controller to Windows Server 2012 R2, you just need transfer FSMO roles to active domain controller.

Note : already our environment is updated with win2k12 r2 schema version .when i run adprep / forestprep it shows  forest-wide information has already updated.

>>>For Adprep, it just need run one time when the domain first bring Windows Server 2012 R2. And the Adprep is automatically run in Windows Server 2012 R2 and later.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Hi jay,

need a clarification for formatting hard disk or new os installation on seized fsmo roles dc else other dc's in the forest.

it means i have put new os on seized dc right?
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:52 AM
  • Hi,

need a clarification for formatting hard disk or new os installation on seized fsmo roles dc else other dc's in the forest.

it means i have put new os on seized dc right?

>>>Yes, if you seize FSMO from a domain controller, you need format the hard disk or re-install a new OS for the seized DC.

Here is an article below for your reference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255504/using-ntdsutil.exe-to-transfer-or-seize-fsmo-roles-to-a-domain-controller

In addition, if the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:13 AM
  • once seized dc is up with new OS is it possible to transfer the role back to its original holder previously.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Yes, you could transfer the FSMO role to the new domain controller.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Just want to check the current status.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your support .

Issue fixed by put a new os as win2k12 r2 on seized fsmo roles dc. now everything is fine .

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:45 AM