none
Windows 8.1 will reject my password repeatedly and then accept it after multiple tries.

Question

• This is a standalone system with wifi internet connection.  I had a hard disk failure and replaced the disk and reinstalled Windows 8.1.  No changes to the internet link, and internet access is normal after login.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using Microsoft Account or Local Account?

If you are using Microsoft Account , try switch to Local Account and then switch back to Microsoft Account.

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I had to do some study to figure out the two account types.

I have a Local account and I've used the eyeball in the password frame to verify that I'm entering the correct password.  It's random as to how many tries it takes before it accepts the password.  Sometimes 20 or so, and sometimes just two or three.

Any other ideas.  Thanks.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to create another account to test the issue. If it works fine, maybe the user profile corrupted, you need to refer the link below to fix it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Also, please check if any group policy applied, and pay more attention to the policy below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg486839.aspx

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Sparky1940 Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:35 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Thanks Simon,

I created a new local account and the login works good for it.

Your policy editor suggestion didn't work on windows 8......no gpedit.msc there on my home version.

That's o.k.  I'm just going to use the new account and manually copy what I need from the old flaky account.

Sparky

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:39 PM