Upgrading from Vista Home Basic OEM to Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop which has Vista Home basic Pre-installed. It needs to be upgraded to Vista Ultimate, without reinstalling. I see that it can be done from Windows Marketplace, however, I would like to know if it is possible to do the upgrade from a Vista Ultimate OEM version.

Monday, November 24, 2008 12:26 PM

Answers

• Yes you can.

A little detail, a 32bits version of windows cannot be upgraded to a 64bits version

If you stay in the same architecture (ie 32bits only or 64bits only) you can upgrade from a Vista Home Basic/prenium OEM to a Vista Ultimate

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:42 AM

All replies

• Yes you can.

A little detail, a 32bits version of windows cannot be upgraded to a 64bits version

If you stay in the same architecture (ie 32bits only or 64bits only) you can upgrade from a Vista Home Basic/prenium OEM to a Vista Ultimate

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Kazer

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:43 PM
  • It is  32bit Vista that requires updating.

What I did not ask though was, will the product key from an OEM version of ultimate activate the upgrade or will it only work for a fresh install.

Sorry about all these questions as I do not want to purchase the wrong version and find that I cannot exchange for a version that will work. (or get a refund)

Regards

Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:54 PM