none
move dpm_sql_protect folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two questions.

Is it possible to move this folder?

I have a DPM 2012 and when im trying to run the sync the current.log file get very big that is filling up the disk.

The second question is: Does the size of currnet.log file is related to the size of DB or Log? and what is the relation, if its 100 GB DB and 10 GB logfiles what is the size needed by current.log?

Thanks in advance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Laith,

Yes, the ability to make the DPM_SQL_PROTECT folder a mountpoint to another volume still applies to DPM 2012.

The files under the DPM_SQL_PROTECT reflect the changes inside the current .ldf file and the file size will be approximetly as large as the % of log space used inside the ldf file at the time of the backup.  That temporary log file will grow / shrink based on log usage between incremental backups.  If you missed several incremental backups and the LDF % used increases, then when the next DPM backup time comes around that temporary log file inside the DPM_SQL_PROTECT folder may be rather large.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Laith_IT Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:48 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Laith,

Take a look at Mike's answer in this post : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-uk/dpmsqlbackup/thread/6b167829-eb51-4d7c-9e52-658e305ff721

"Make the DPM_SQL_PROTECT folder a mountpoint to another volume"

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your answer. I already read that post but that was regarding DPM 2010. I was hoping that its possible to change it in DPM 2012. So does that post also applied to DPM 2012?

My second question was: Does the size of currnet.log file is related to the size of DB or Log? and what is the relation, if its 100 GB DB and 10 GB logfiles what is the size needed by current.log?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Hi Laith,

Yes, the ability to make the DPM_SQL_PROTECT folder a mountpoint to another volume still applies to DPM 2012.

The files under the DPM_SQL_PROTECT reflect the changes inside the current .ldf file and the file size will be approximetly as large as the % of log space used inside the ldf file at the time of the backup.  That temporary log file will grow / shrink based on log usage between incremental backups.  If you missed several incremental backups and the LDF % used increases, then when the next DPM backup time comes around that temporary log file inside the DPM_SQL_PROTECT folder may be rather large.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Laith_IT Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:48 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 9:36 PM