Generation 2 VM - Unable to boot from ISO file to install operatin system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently having a problem booting off an ISO when trying to install Server 2012 on a Generation 2 VM. I've created a Virtual DVD drive under a separate SCSI controller, pointed it to the ISO which is on the local HDD on the host however have had no joy. Reading up, this seems to be an issue with Generation 2 VM's in general? Had a look at the the following...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/29574a12-7528-4f49-ae12-6fe1d85b3732/hyperv-vm-generation-2-how-to-boot-from-iso?forum=winserverhyperv

...tried all the suggestions to resolve the problem but nothing has fixed the issue. I receive the same 'Windows Boot Manager' message in the link above.

Are there any other suggestions or am I just best off creating a Gen 1 VM?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by Joely85 Saturday, July 16, 2016 12:39 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2016 12:23 PM

Answers

• HI,

Issue is now resolved. I transferred the ISO to the host using a different USB flash drive and this has resolved the problem.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Friday, July 22, 2016 6:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:36 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>...tried all the suggestions to resolve the problem but nothing has fixed the issue

Do you mean :

1. if that ISO file was edited before , then uncheck "secure boot"

2. re-download server 2012 :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012

In addition , if you get the error below , you may need allocated more memory for that VM:

If all of the above are not your case , I would suggest you to remove hyper-v role --> restart host--> re-enable hyper-v role -- > create a gen2 VM test again .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Proposed as answer by BrianEhMVP Monday, July 18, 2016 5:01 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 4:41 AM
  • HI,

Issue is now resolved. I transferred the ISO to the host using a different USB flash drive and this has resolved the problem.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Friday, July 22, 2016 6:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:36 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:54 PM