Importing data into a 2007 SPLIST from Excel/Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to get data into a custom list daily.  The process I was using was to open access 2010 an do an external link to the sharepoint list, open the list and delete all records.  Next I would inport new records into the list via access from a xlsx spreadsheet.

This operation dail is a pain in the butt!  It was working now I am contantly getting errors.
    Cannot update. Database or object is read-only

Does about 9500 of my records and dies.

First why am I getting the error and next is there a better way.

I have been using a cumbersome process that honestly is terrible

1. Export data to xlsx (2010)
    2. Open Access 2010 db, connect to SP list 2007 and delete all records.
    3. import records from xlsx to access connected to SP

VERY slow and starting today it dies with the message
    Cannot update. Database or object is read-only, after importing about 9,500 records.  I cannot get all my records imported now

Please help with my existing process or suggest a better one.

Matt Pinkston

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that you are using Access and Excel 2010 to sync data to a SharePoint list. Since the error comes after there are 9500 of records, you can decrease the items to see whether it fixes this issue.

Another way to sync data to SharePoint using Excel alone is also available. You need to install the sync add-in for Excel 2010. Then click File>Options>Add-Ins. Browse and check the add-in for excel. Then you can get the Publish and Allow Sync button will appear under Design ribbon in Excel.

Here is a link for Excel 2007 sync Add-in, this add-in still works in Excel 2010:

Publishing and Synchronizing Excel 2007 Tables to SharePoint Lists: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb462636(v=office.11).aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:02 AM