deleting/editing copies of docs in sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• i know how to send a copy of a doc to another location and how to update existing copies, but how do you manage/delete them?  if you delete from the location where it was created, it just recreates the doc there when you update existing copies.  i'm trying to do this in sharepoint 2007.   
    Friday, June 10, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Within the Document Library's settings under Permissions and Management there is a section call "Information management policy settings"

Within this click "Define a Policy" and click OK

This will pull up a seperate screen that gives you a few options on how to handle documents and items within this list.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Here is microsoft's info on what it can do:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/configure-features-of-an-information-management-policy-HA010132062.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010099656

Happy SharePointing!

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Thank you for responding.  The options I see when I click on define a policy has nothing to do with being able to remove a copy that was set up for a document, nor does there appear to be an option for editing the copy (like changing the title or location of it).  Please review and advise.  Thanks, Cindy
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:29 PM
  • what bnkjames is saying is you can setup an expiration policy which with say a workflow can copy the item to the new location and then delete it
    Friday, June 10, 2011 6:02 PM
  • this seems awfully complicated to delete a specific copy of a document.  why is there just not a simple capability to edit or remove the copy as easy as it was to create a copy?  it sounds as if it's almost easier for me to just delete the original doc and resave it to the same location?  there has to be an easier way... i don't require workflow nor do i want to schedule and expiration.  i just want to be able to change the title i called the copy or delete it from the location i copied it to.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 6:45 PM