Implement PPS Dashboard "Look and Feel" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to implement a "look and feel" from an existing MOSS site into the PPS dashboard so it looks (font, color, etc) like the rest of the MOSS site. I am not concerned with the content in the reports, but the zones outer shell look. I am looking at the Performance Point Master page in MOSS with SharePoint Designer and think this is the right spot to do this, but wanted to know if there would be a better way to do this with creating a new dashboard "template' that has the "look and feel" in it. I saw the PPS SDK for the dashboard wizard template example, but nothing that really talked about fonts, colors of the borders, etc. Any input or validation of this approach would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike Lamb,

You are correct that master pages are the best place for modifying the "look and feel" of a deployed PPS dashboard in MOSS. One option you can do instead of modifying the PerformancePoint Master page is when you deployed a new dashboard you can choose a different Master page. You could select the Master page that you are using for your other MOSS sites and that would apply that Master page to the PerformancePoint dashboard.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike Lamb,

You are correct that master pages are the best place for modifying the "look and feel" of a deployed PPS dashboard in MOSS. One option you can do instead of modifying the PerformancePoint Master page is when you deployed a new dashboard you can choose a different Master page. You could select the Master page that you are using for your other MOSS sites and that would apply that Master page to the PerformancePoint dashboard.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:00 PM
  • We have created a master page stored in our top site and subsites inherit from this.  When publishing dashboards from PerformancePoint Designer into a subsite, we are prompted with a list of master pages from that subsite.  Our master page from the top site is not in the list of master pages from which to choose.

Is there anyway to specify that a dashboard page is to use this top level master page when publishing into a subsite?  Right now, our work around is to edit the dashboard page in SharePoint Designer after it is published by PerformancePoint and change the master page reference.

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I've read about a style sheet used by PPS dashboard that you can mess-up in order to change dashboard look & feel. This is not master-page template settings but may help you get the design you want.

It's the ppsDashboard.css file and the following blog tells you where to find it and what you can change with it..

http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/12/18/working-with-the-monitoring-css-files-to-adjust-settings-in-deployed-dashboards.aspx

I hope it helps , please reply if you find a useful template - and give us a screenshot of your result. I like to collect ideas...just passing info along...

Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:42 AM
  • It looks like that css is the one used by the PerformancePoint master page setup in SharePoint when you install PerformancePoint.  We have our own master page on the root site that we need to appear in the list when publishing into a subsite.  Different issue but thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Hello Rich Carickhoff,

One solution to this would be to add the PerofrmancePoint master page or any other master page to your sub site master page gallery. That would allow your master page to show up in the dashboard designer drop down list of master pages. This drop down list is populated from the individual sub sites master page gallery list.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:09 PM
  •  

Yes, I could do that.  Just to get the master page to appear in the list.  I don't want to have more than one copy of the master page though.  Is there a way to do this without making a physical copy of the master page in the top site into subsites?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Rich,
    Was there another way to do this, or did you conform and make another copy of the master page?

Thanks

LB
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

I've been fighting with the PPS look 'n feel for our MOSS templates. What I ended up doing was to create a feature containing the customized masterpage for our PPS dashboards. Then enabling the feature on those subsites that was having PPS dashboards in them. When I change the masterpage layout in the 12\Templates\Features\<Feature> all the subsites will aslo get the change.

-- TST
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Mark already mentioned the customizations you can do with the css file and provided the PPS team link reference.  Just thought I would also mention the IE Developer Toolbar if you are looking to track down and see how items in the pages are being used and referenced.

If you want to start modifying the styles of the items then you are going to need to explore some of the css settings - Working with the Monitoring CSS Files to Adjust Settings in Deployed Dashboards

You might want to install the IE Developer Toolbar so that you can determine what settings you want to modify in the css files that are being referenced - Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar

Of course some or all of this may change in the next release of SharePoint Server 2010...
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi there,

I wonder if anyone found an elegant solution to this problem? The same issue is in SharePoint 2010.

Daire

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:45 PM