none
Can I use the -HyperVPagefileExclusions option to exclude *any* VHD, or only one with a pagefile? RRS feed

• Question

• We're running System Center DPM 2012 SP1. I want to virtualize our email server (Hyper-V 3.0). I want to back up the entire VM, but I want to exclude the entire E: drive on the mail server (where the mail actually lives) because I don't want to put the email itself on tape. I will have the email backed up to disk only via DPM agent installed on the email server itself.

Anyway, the documentation for the HyperVPagefileExclusions option says "Provide the name of pagefile VHD to be excluded from backup jobs for HyperV data source." Will this work for any VHD I specify, or is it somehow tied to there actually being a pagefile on the drive?

• Edited by dsegel Friday, April 26, 2013 2:39 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi

The HyperVPagefileExclusions setting issue is now fixed in DPM 2012 R2 + UR10

KB 3143871 -Update Rollup 10 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

You can exclude ANY .vhd / .vhdx file however DPM will make one backup of that excluded VHD so that should a full VM restore need to be done, we have that VHD since it's part of the VM configuration.   Delta changes will not be tracked or applied once it's protected, so that is where the storage savings comes in.

Now, if you are also doing long term tape backups, that excluded vhd will be written to tape every time since it part of the protected VM.

See the following blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/04/18/reduce-backup-storage-consumption-of-private-cloud-deployments-using-system-center-2012-sp1-dpm.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 26, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies