Our accountant is no longer allowed access to the QuickBooks file RRS feed

• Question

• My main server is Small Business Server 2008 Standard (i.e. pre-R2).  I have another box running Server 2012 that's just acting as a Hyper-V host.  On that server I have three relevant VMs, all Windows 7 Professional and joined to the domain. One is acting as a host for our QuickBooks file and running some other QuickBooks-related tasks.  The other two are for two people who have to access QuickBooks remotely via RDP (we don't have a Terminal Server license).

Our accountant has been accessing the QuickBooks file for several weeks from an in-office domain-joined Windows 7 Pro computer at the shared resource "\\Quickbooks-host\QuickBooks Data".  Today she's told that she's not allowed to access Quickbooks-host. In the SBS console she is set for local administrator access to that computer. On Quickbooks-host the "Quickbooks Data" folder is shared with her having explicit full control as <domain>\<user>, both in Properties | Sharing | Share... and Properties | Sharing | Advanced Sharing ... | Permissions. On Quickbooks-host she is listed in Control Panel | User Accounts | Give other users access to this computer under her user name and my domain as an administrator.  What more could Microsoft possibly want?

(BTW, I despise Microsoft's networking permissions management.  Why must I give permission in two places for the same resource, and still have it not work?)

So I tried to get her going for the day by letting her RDP into one of the other two VMs, since the person that regularly uses that is  in the office today.  She's a member of Remote Desktop Users and Mobile Users and a few others. But I can't connect using her account, with or without a domain and using the real domain name or "quickbooks-host" as the domain name.  SOmetims I just get "login failed", sometimes I get a pop-up "The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login".  I can't find any more places to add authorization.

Did I mention how much I despise Windows' control of networking permissions?

So is there any way to convince Windows 7 that our accountant is allowed access?

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:40 PM

Answers

• Arrghh! Found it.

We just switched from on-premise Exchange to Office 365 Exchange.  She had to change her password because it wasn't complex enough. Turns out her local credential store had her old password for Quickbooks-host.

Still don't know why RDP isn't working, not even from my machine.

• Proposed as answer by Martin G. Evans Monday, January 5, 2015 10:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:22 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 8:08 PM

All replies

• Arrghh! Found it.

We just switched from on-premise Exchange to Office 365 Exchange.  She had to change her password because it wasn't complex enough. Turns out her local credential store had her old password for Quickbooks-host.

Still don't know why RDP isn't working, not even from my machine.

• Proposed as answer by Martin G. Evans Monday, January 5, 2015 10:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:22 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to see your problem resolved, hope your experience is helpful with others.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:25 PM