none
UMDF Reflector fails to start (event 10114, Driverframeworks-Usermode) resulting in WUDFRd failed to load... (event 219, Kernel-PnP)

Question

• Slow booting.  Really slow booting.  Seems that using an SD card for ReadyBoot/ReadyBoost is causing the issue.  But why?

On investigation, this only started happening back in November, which coincides with the install of KB2685813 UMDF 1.11 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685813).

Could be a bit buggy....

I'll uninstall the update and see if this solves the issue.

So, first event:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode
    Date:          04/01/2013 10:47:30
    Event ID:      10114
    Task Category: Startup of the UMDF reflector
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      LAPTOPW7A
    Description:
    The UMDF reflector was unable to complete startup because the WUDFPf service was not found.  This service may be started later during boot, at which point Windows will attempt to start the device again.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2E35AAEB-857F-4BEB-A418-2E6C0E54D988}" />
        <EventID>10114</EventID>
        <Version>1</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>101</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x2000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-04T10:47:30.613800000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>131964</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="68" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>LAPTOPW7A</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <UMDFReflectorDependencyMissing xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event">
          <Dependency>WUDFPf</Dependency>
        </UMDFReflectorDependencyMissing>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

and Second event:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
    Date:          04/01/2013 10:47:30
    Event ID:      219
    Task Category: (212)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      LAPTOPW7A
    Description:
    The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&1&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_SD#VID_27&OID_5048&PID_SD16G&REV_3.0#5&1720BB1&2&0#.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
        <EventID>219</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>212</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-04T10:47:30.613800000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>131965</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="68" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>LAPTOPW7A</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="DriverNameLength">101</Data>
        <Data Name="DriverName">WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&amp;37c186b&amp;1&amp;STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_SD#VID_27&amp;OID_5048&amp;PID_SD16G&amp;REV_3.0#5&amp;1720BB1&amp;2&amp;0#</Data>
        <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
        <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
        <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WUDFRd</Data>
        <Data Name="Version">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, January 4, 2013 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hmm.  Now that is interesting.

In my System event log I was getting an NTFS error (57: Failed to flush tlog).  I didn't think it was from my HDD, so using diskpart, I ran a 'CLEAN ALL' on my SD card, then recreated the FS as exFAT (previously it was NTFS).

Seems to be working now, although I'm getting VDS Basic Provider errors (Unexpected failure.  Error code: 490@01010004) "which can be safely ignored" (re: KB979391).

This begs the question: if it can be safely ignored, why is it raised in the first place?

Boot time is also restored to an acceptable timescale.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:39 PM

All replies

• Well.  That's interesting.  Despite uninstalling the KB, the driver framework hasn't downversioned to the 7 SP1 default (1.9?), even though WU is prompting me to install the 1.11 framework.

I'll see if I can hook it out of the install.wim off the DVD and force it.

Friday, January 4, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Have you try the following hot fix for a test?

An exclamation mark (!) may be displayed next to the smartcard reader in Device Manager after you start Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978977

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Thanks Alex.  Yes, it was one of the first things I tried, however, the update is not applicable.  Besides, I'm not experiencing the issue described (exclamation mark on the device).

Whilst a PITA, I could re-install Windows and exclude the update for KB2685813 - but doing this is a bit extreme.  I'd rather resolve the issue.

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

if you have a system restore point which is previous than your November update date, you can try to go back this point for a test.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:36 AM
  • November?  You're having a laugh!  I do too much housekeeping.

I would have had a WHS client backup - but unfortunately the disk I was keeping them on died just before Christmas.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

In this situation,  can you give me the status  of the WUDFPf service when you boot into Windows 7? I would like to know if it is started after the boot finished.

If the answer is no, try to navigate to the following registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WudfPf

To see if the registry value of imagePath is right like system32\drivers\WudfPf.sys

Alex Zhao

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Hi Alex,

The service appears to start (at least, once I've logged in, it shows as 'started'), and the event log shows that the service starts during the boot/login cycle.

The bootlog indicates that the driver is loaded:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WudfPf.sys

... and the reg key is also correct.  As for the driver itself, it has Read+Read/Execute privs for SYSTEM, Users, Administrators and Full Control for TrustedInstaller.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hmm.  Now that is interesting.

In my System event log I was getting an NTFS error (57: Failed to flush tlog).  I didn't think it was from my HDD, so using diskpart, I ran a 'CLEAN ALL' on my SD card, then recreated the FS as exFAT (previously it was NTFS).

Seems to be working now, although I'm getting VDS Basic Provider errors (Unexpected failure.  Error code: 490@01010004) "which can be safely ignored" (re: KB979391).

This begs the question: if it can be safely ignored, why is it raised in the first place?

Boot time is also restored to an acceptable timescale.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

It seems this VDS error is irrelevant with your slow boot issue, if you meet the scenario which mentioned in the KB article, you could get a brief understand about its cause.

Alex Zhao

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:23 AM
  • It seems this VDS error is irrelevant with your slow boot issue, if you meet the scenario which mentioned in the KB article, you could get a brief understand about its cause.

No - I'm not running a Hyper-V guest (I am elsewhere though).

The VDS Basic Provider message has gone now.

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:07 AM
  • I find this error in my Event Viewer and have four card readers with Microsoft drivers that I doubt because they install differently in W7 from the manufacturers driver in Vista but installer said the Hotfix was not suitable for my computer!
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:21 PM
  • This error message stopped after I installed Realtek USB2.0 Card Reader Driver, Version 6.1.7600.30118. I have done this before but uninstalled it because of errors in the Event Viewer after StartUp. But this time, so far, there are none.
    The Card Reader is standard on HP Compaq SR5228UK. In Vista HP, it appeared only under Universal Serial Bus controller in the Device Manager, as it does now in my W7 HP. As installed by W7, it appears in Devices and Printers as USB2.0-CRW and in the DM, under Disk drives four times as ...USB Device and under Portable Devices as F:\, H;\, I:\ & J:\. I uninstalled the four drivers in Portable Devices before I installed Realtek's program.
    By the way, for the first time in years, I got Windows to start in Safe Mode (By selecting Directory Services Restore Mode.) and noticed W7’s four drivers for my Card Reader, under Disk drives in the DM, had not loaded.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:37 PM