MS DOS Flashing up at 5 minute Intervals RRS feed

• Question

• Where do I post a problem whereby an MS DOS screen pops up, but disappears before I can read it, every five minutes. It's incredibly annoying!
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately I am not able to determine which forum or newsgroup is best suited for your question at hand.  Can you provide us a little more detail in regards to the operating system you are currently using and some additional details so that we can guide you to the appropriate forum.

Thank you, Vijay Rao Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    • Proposed as answer by VijayKR Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Yeah I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2.

My laptop is a HP compaq 6720s

Intel Core Duo CPU T5870 @ 2.00 GHz

4.00GB RAM

32-bit operating system

My problem:

A DOS window is flashing up at 5 minute intervals and disappears before I can read it. This started just today and whilst it doesn't seem hazardou s to my computer it's incredibly annoying.

Yesterday my wireless adapter stopped working and I couldn't find/see any networks where I knew there were (my housemates could connect to the wireless). I had to go to some lengths to fix it and I'm assuming this has something to do with my new problem.

I did several things which I read from this discussion thread -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistanetworking/thread/6d4a8783-04f7-435d-9648-f7668cd67158

I followed the advice given and hacked into the registry via:

"YOU DON'T have to reinstall the OS !!!

The solution:

1. regedit
    2. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ndisuio
    3. Change Start to "0x000000002 (2)"
    4. Restart

That's it!"

however this didn't work, so I flipped it back and tried the next suggested thing:

"i looked up the services module (startbutton, then type services) to see what services i had running and what not, and i found one that looked relevant called:  'WLAN AutoConfig' i opened this up and went to the tab called dependencies, there you have a list of other services (gearshaped icons) that you need to have running in order for thos one to run, so i went thru them one by one and changed them to automatic then started them up, som of them in turn needed others to be started so i did that also and finally i could turn WLAN AutoConfig on and after that i was smooth sailing."

changing dependencies such as Extensible Authentication Protocol, CNG Key Isolation, Remote Procedure Call & WireLAN AutoConfig and changed them all to automatic in the services directory.

This still didn't help so I tried the next thing. Opening up a DOS window and typing in 'sfc /scannow'
    this, or the vista updates I downloaded, fixed my wireless problem. Only now I have a DOS screen flashing up and disappearing before I can read it. I'm not sure what to do, I've looked at the automations I turned on in services yesterday and none of them are turned to restarting every five minutes. In fact most of them cease to restart after a second attempt.

So... anyone know the solution?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  I would suggest posting the same question in one of the Windows > Windows Vista Forums > System Repair and Recovery  located here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/threads

Hope this helps you.

Have a great day!

Thank you, Vijay Rao Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:12 AM