Vista Ultimate SP2 - Registry and Slow Bootup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I back again.

My system setup:

Laptop: Sony VAIO VGN-AR51SU, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD

Problem:

1. Previously I reported that and export of my registry file resulted in an ~800MB file. Now, an export produces a file that is 1.284.595KB in size and an export of the HKLM hive is 1.178.444KB in size.

I know that during installation and uninstalls that entries are left in the registry, but I haven't installed anything since October 2011.

For this, I would like to know how to find out what is and is not needed in the Registry?

2. When working on my laptop at work, it would BSOD without any error code. Or if I plug in my UMTS usb stick, it gives a BSOD. So, before any of you say 'There maybe a problem with your hardware,' let me assure you that the UMTS stick worked fine for 3 months without this problem; and the laptop has been running for years without BSOD. I get a BSOD sometimes when I am doing nothing on the laptop, when I plug the UMTS stick or I get a BSOD while booting. The booting BSOD is sporadic.

3. A boot up takes 2-5 Minutes. I have performed a clean boot several times with the same result. I have formatted the disk and restore from a backup prior to the problems, I have done several restore points  that were prior to the problems with the same results. Chkdsk has been run several times.

So, now I am asking myself if the above three (3) problems are related. After reading through the various technet forums, I get the impression that Registry cleaners are not worth the bother and that there is no Microsoft utility to help cleanup a registry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

jasfree

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” Chinese Proverb
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• Jasper

All I can suggest is you export the major keys of HKLM one at a time until you find the huge one. Start with Software and then System and perhaps export further down the hierarchy and investigate any strange looking names.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Okay, I will try this and get back with you.
    “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” Chinese Proverb
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:27 PM