none
MDT LiteTouchx64.wim not loading on PXE boot RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone!

I am running into a problem with my LiteTouchx64.wim files not loading when I try to PXE boot using WDS.  It gets about 10% of the way loaded, then fails with the "Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:  (List of things to run a repair on windows)".  The .wim itself is created when I update the deployment share, and I have included all the drivers I should need for my environment. 

Also, nothing has changed!  The computers PXE booted just 6 months ago on those machines, and they have been in production for the last year.

I have been troubleshooting all day, and so far I have updated my MDT software and updated it.  I also deleted the old LiteTouchx64.wim (and iso and xml) file and completely regenerated them after updated to the latest version of MDT.  So, I'm not sure where it went wrong, but somewhere it did and I'm having problems figuring it out. 

Any and all help is appreciated.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:18 PM

Answers

• No sooner do I post this and start browsing the MDT forums to help others, then I find my answer:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2f13e62a-483d-4626-843b-e2d3d45d6c8f/error-code-0xc0000001-when-trying-to-pxe-boot?forum=mdt

To summerize the forum post, there was an update in March that borked WDS.  To resolve it, simply go to the properties of your WDS server, click on the TFTP tab, and uncheck "Enable Variable Window Extension" option.  That will get your boots going again.  Mine seem to be a bit slower, but that could also be the amount of drivers I loaded into a new .wim to try to resolve this initially.

Hope this helps someone!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Obujuwami Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:02 PM