Upgrade sccm 2007 to sccm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We have SCCM 2007 deployed and working good. the main use is for remote tools. We want to upgrade to SCCM 2012 , the current 2007 boundaries are site based.

I will install the SCCM 2012 on a new hardware and use the same boundaries as in 2007 and push the clients again from sccm 2012 to the whole domain. will this work or should i turn off the sccm 2007 first?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:55 PM

Answers

• It will work as long as when you push the client you make sure you at least specifies the SITE CODE (by default when you use the push it's configure) because if the SCCM 2007 is also being publish in AD the client will not be aware of witch site to chose.

Once a client is configure to a site it will not change unless ask to.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

As Frederick said, it will work. In SCCM 2007, in client push settings SITECODE = AUTO means client will behave malfunction between sccm 2007 and SCCM 2012 sites.

If it settings SITECODE=<SITECODE>, you perform the client push.

Regards, Kannan.CS

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:04 PM
  • What I did eventually is configuring the same boundaries on SCCM 2012 without using the boundary group for site assignment. also I stopped push installation from SCCM 2007 and started pushing clients from 2012 gradually.

Thanks a lot for all your help

• Marked as answer by Ibra86 Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:10 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:10 AM

All replies

• It will work as long as when you push the client you make sure you at least specifies the SITE CODE (by default when you use the push it's configure) because if the SCCM 2007 is also being publish in AD the client will not be aware of witch site to chose.

Once a client is configure to a site it will not change unless ask to.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

As Frederick said, it will work. In SCCM 2007, in client push settings SITECODE = AUTO means client will behave malfunction between sccm 2007 and SCCM 2012 sites.

If it settings SITECODE=<SITECODE>, you perform the client push.

Regards, Kannan.CS

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:04 PM
  • So is there anything to do on sccm 2007 or just push the clients from sccm 2012 will update the site on the old clients currently working with sccm 2007
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:15 PM
  • You could simply push the client from the SCCM 2012 r2 console.

If you want you could also have SCCM 2007 push the client and command to switch the client.

You could do GPO as well. You have a lot of option to install the new client and point it to the new infra. 

You have a lot of way to install the new client and they all have different advantage. This is about how you want to proceed and how you want to control the rate of witch you are deploying.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Both can happily co-exist. Just make sure that there are no overlapping boundaries for site assignment (content location boundary groups can overlap!) and that you are using unique sitecodes.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Thats the confusing point for me . If i use the same boundaries in both 2007 and 2012 that wiould be overlapping boundaries right??

in this case will the 2012 work fine or will i have problems

Thanks alot for your answers

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Yes, once the client is migrated to SCCM 2012, remove the boundary information from SCCM 2007 site.

Regards, Kannan.CS

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Overlapping boundaries is only an issue for site assignment. Also, boundary groups for the purpose of site assignment are pretty useless in a single site environment so there's no reason to even have them. Thus, simply create you boundaries and only use them for content location by associating them with boundaries groups that reference site systems only, do not set them for use with site assignment.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:32 PM
  • The boundaries are use only if you are using AUTOMATIC SITE ASSIGNMENT.

If you are not and are specifying the site code you can have those boundaries stay forever.

Read here you get all the info you need: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/gg682060.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_AutomaticAssignment

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:32 PM
  • The boundaries are use only if you are using AUTOMATIC SITE ASSIGNMENT.

You have to differentiate here (as I already mentioned above). Overlappings for content location are perfectly fine and do not cause any issues.

Boundary/groups for site assignment have to be unique, but (as Jason stated) are not needed at all if there is just a standalone primary. There is no need for *auto*assignment then.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:11 PM
  • What I did eventually is configuring the same boundaries on SCCM 2012 without using the boundary group for site assignment. also I stopped push installation from SCCM 2007 and started pushing clients from 2012 gradually.

Thanks a lot for all your help

• Marked as answer by Ibra86 Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:10 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:10 AM