none
IPAM not showing dns subzones RRS feed

• Question

• I installed IPAM on Windows Server 2016 tech preview 5 and connected it a 2012R2 DNS server.

I'm using Server 2016 because i'm trying out the new role based access control for DNS configuration.

In IPAM - Monitor and Manage - DNS zones, it's showing all my DNS zones but some subzones are missing.

I can expand the DNS zones with the arrow next to the green circle but it's empty.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Monkeybanana,

Please check if your DNS ACL has configured to allow IPAM get data from DNS server.

Please ensure your IPAM account has permission to access and control DNS server.

You could reference the link below to understand DNS ACL:

Securing DNS zones

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755193(v=ws.11).aspx

Please perform troubleshooting by follow article below:
    Troubleshooting IPAM

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj878309(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Monkeybanana Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Monkeybanana Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:52 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:40 AM
  • John,

The DNS ACL are correctly configured, and the IPAM account has permisssion to access and control the DNS server.

When i create a new A record in the DNS manager: test.monkey.nl in the IPAM interface it shows as just a A record under the monkey.nl zone, and not as a subzone.

So in the DNS manager there is test.monkey.nl as a subzone under monkey.nl but in IPAM it is just a A record and not a subzone.

I hope te screenshots help

In DNS manager is shows test as a subzone

in IPAM there isn't a test.monkey.nl zone

Thanks,

Mart

• Edited by Monkeybanana Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:20 AM
  • Hi Mart,

Please ensure you have enabled the IPAM filter, you could reference the article below to fix it:

Filter the View of DNS Resource Records

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/mt210427.aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Dear John,

Enabeling the IPAM filter changes nothing in the tree view. 

The subzones are not displayed. Is this normal in server 2016?

In an example from Microsoft IPAM provides a hierarchal view of the DNS zones, but on my 2016 server it isin't working

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2015/09/01/dns-management-in-ipam/

Thnx,

Mart

• Edited by Monkeybanana Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:35 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Hi Mart,

>>The subzones are not displayed. Is this normal in server 2016?

You could check the website and download the PDF file to understand it:

Free ebook: Introducing Windows Server 2016

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/microsoft_press/2016/09/26/free-ebook-introducing-windows-server-2016/

Best Regards

John

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:26 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 8:07 AM
  • He John,

In the Introducing Windows Server 2016 pdf, IPAM is not referenced even once.

I'm not quit seeing where to find a solutions in the specified documentation.

Maybe someone can show me a working example of IPAM in Server 2016 with the subzone available.

Thnx,

Mart

Friday, September 30, 2016 8:48 AM
  • There is a bit of difference how data is shown in DNS manager vs IPAM.

In the scenario mentioned it seems that there is a zone “monkey.nl” and it has ”test” as a subzone (Domain inside monkey.nl please correct me if I am wrong).

There are two possibilities here

1.On DNS Manager, you can see that there is a record (A in this case) inside test.monkey.nl subzone with name “foo”.

In this case on IPAM an A record will be shown inside moneky.nl with HostName as foo.test.

2.On DNS Manager, you can see that there is no record inside test.monkey.nl subzone.    In this case, you will not see anything related to test.monkey.nl. on IPAM

This behaviour in IPAM is same as DNS powershell commandlet Get-DnsServerResourceRecord.

My suggestion here would be to try out powershell on DNS server and check IPAM interface you will see similarities in the behaviours.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Hi

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Monday, October 10, 2016 7:39 AM