none
DNS issues inside a local network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our office currently runs a server 2003 DC (upgrading soon)

We have a new E-commerce website, that site replaced to older website, it uses the same domain name of the older website.

There is no problem accessing the new site from outside the office when typing the site name at the web browser , however when we try to access it from our local domain environment it direct us to the old site.

I tried to clear the dns cache at the server and also used the scavenge option, but still no joy.

Is there something else that i'm missing? i really need a solution.

Thanks in advance to all the replies

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue seems clear. You are using root hints to resolve the name of the website when you are outside the network, but you are authoritative for the domain when you are inside, and I guess you didn't update the IP address when you switched to the new server.

Update the www record in your domain with the correct, new, IP address.

-Greg

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:50 AM
    Owner

All replies

• run tracert and nslookup against old site and see what is the route for that.

it might be a dns server record redirecting to old site.

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Typically,we will create a CNAME record 'www' for webserver.If it exists,please check the Fully qualified name for target host box,and make sure it is your new webserver.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

The issue seems clear. You are using root hints to resolve the name of the website when you are outside the network, but you are authoritative for the domain when you are inside, and I guess you didn't update the IP address when you switched to the new server.

Update the www record in your domain with the correct, new, IP address.

-Greg

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:50 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:51 AM