locked
Wrong version number for farm with SP3 installed; how to correct? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    Our intranet is running on SharePoint 2007 with SP3 installed but the version numbers shown in Cental Admin do not jive with the expected number having that SP installed.  It should show 12.0.0.6504 but shows 12.0.0.6421 instead  (see screen shots below).

    I have run the SharePoint Products and Technologies wizard on both servers in the farm but nothing changes.

    Note that the farm was set up with the SP slip-streamed in the binaries; I did not perform the original installations.

    Any ideas on how to correct this?  There are a few stsadm command line options that are specific to SP3 that I need.

    Thanks

    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:01 PM

Answers

  • Update -

    First, Jason, thanks for pointing me in the right direction by referencing V 12.0.6606.1000; I was under the impression that .6504 was the latest and that is the one I tried to re-install.

    I solved the issue by running Windows update on both servers until no more critical updates were found; not that this necessarily caused the issue but I wanted to be sure nothing else was missing that may cause issues.

    Then I downloaded and installed the 64-bit SP3 on both servers from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526305

    This was not the same SP3 that I tried to install previously that ended in an install failure; this on installed successfully.

    Next, I ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies wizard on both servers, CA first. Both are now at version 12.0.0.6608


    • Edited by MCPSSPA Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCPSSPA Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

  • To clarify:

    • SP3 should report 12.0.6606.1000
    • 12.0.6504.5002 (12.0.0.6504) is the April 2009 "uber" CU
    • 12.0.6421.1000 (12.0.0.6421) is SP2

    (From Steve Chen's MOSS/WSS Cube Sheet)

    How many servers are in the farm? What happens if you try to run the SP3 installers on one of the servers?


    Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

    Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Thanks, Jason.

    2 servers other than the db server; WFE and central admin.  I tried to apply SP3 again but was greeted with an error message stating something like a different version was expected - sorry, working in another location today and can't log on to duplicate the message.

    David

    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Update -

    First, Jason, thanks for pointing me in the right direction by referencing V 12.0.6606.1000; I was under the impression that .6504 was the latest and that is the one I tried to re-install.

    I solved the issue by running Windows update on both servers until no more critical updates were found; not that this necessarily caused the issue but I wanted to be sure nothing else was missing that may cause issues.

    Then I downloaded and installed the 64-bit SP3 on both servers from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526305

    This was not the same SP3 that I tried to install previously that ended in an install failure; this on installed successfully.

    Next, I ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies wizard on both servers, CA first. Both are now at version 12.0.0.6608


    • Edited by MCPSSPA Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCPSSPA Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:51 PM