Exchange Content Filtering Reject Some Emails RRS feed

• Question

• I have got this error message from my Exchange server although I added my Gmail address to bypass the content filtering.

Most of my emails went through but some emails (like the one below), which included some links (such Technet links or something), were rejected with the following message.

In addition, there are some more people got their emails bounced back with attachments while emails without attachments went through. And they also got the same error messages though their domains were also added in the content filtering bypass list.

I also set the SCL rate a bit low (5 from 7), but it still doesn't allow.

Does anyone have any suggestion where I have to look at and what changes have to be done to resolve and allow emails from specific domains or email addresses to bypass the content filtering (or something blocking them)?

Are those emails bounced back by the content filtering or something else?

Thanks for any comments.

=======================================================================================================
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
    Date: Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
    To: myemailaddress@gmail.com

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

myemailaddress@mycompany.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Message rejected as spam by Content Filtering. (state 18).

----- Original message -----

MIME-Version: 1.0
    Received: by 10.141.90.21 with SMTP id s21mr3912454rvl.240.1265093857544; Mon,
           01 Feb 2010 22:57:37 -0800 (PST)
    Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:57:37 -0800
    Message-ID: <3a07f7231002012257p423563b0q274df58d4c1a31ca@mail.gmail.com>
    Subject: BypassedSenders and Safelist Aggregation
    To: Cheongseo Ku <myemailaddress@mycompany.com>
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=000e0cd11948fc8a5c047e989dab

Quick antispam report or status check?

BypassedSenders and Safelist Aggregation
    http://exchangepedia.com/blog/labels/IMF.html

Mails of gmail are getting bounced back
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvradmin/thread/4c6b7cfc-a989-42a0-82fc-4a01b3a28ebf

Understanding Anti-Spam and Antivirus Mail Flow
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997242.aspx

Kucheong
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That's normal. The Attachment Filtering and Antivirus Scanning will be funtion even though the emails bypass the Content Filtering. It should be blocked by one of the filtering.

In current scenario, the transport rule is the best practice.

For the deleting, rejecting, and quarantining messages on the Content Filtering, which check for SCL equal to or higher than their respective thresholds. Thus, to set the SCl more lower, more email will be blocked.
    Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, February 12, 2010 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:31 AM

All replies

• I crested a transport rule for my gmail account and also few domains and set the SCL rate to 1.
    It works for me, but I am not sure whether or not there is any better way to work around.
    Kucheong
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

That's normal. The Attachment Filtering and Antivirus Scanning will be funtion even though the emails bypass the Content Filtering. It should be blocked by one of the filtering.

In current scenario, the transport rule is the best practice.

For the deleting, rejecting, and quarantining messages on the Content Filtering, which check for SCL equal to or higher than their respective thresholds. Thus, to set the SCl more lower, more email will be blocked.
    Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, February 12, 2010 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:31 AM
  • Good to know that.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Kucheong
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:32 AM