Lync edge connected users and Cisco Call Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have Lync 2010 connected to CCM 8.1 via a Sip Trunk. Everything works perfectly for internal users. I can make calls from Lync and receive calls from CCM and the PSTN. However if I try to receive an inbound PSTN or make an Outbound PSTN from a Lync Edge connected users I get a call failure. The sip signalling is perfect but the RTP traffic does not connect.

Lync to Lync Edge to internal calls work perfectly which suggests that I have my firewall and NAT rules correct... So my question is:

Can anyone explain the media path when making a call from CCM to an Edge connected Lync User and suggest ways to troubleshoot. Media Bypass is not enabled and I need to better understand the flow of the media from CCM to external Lync.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

check for the remote user client logs and see if you get a MRAS candidate when the calls fails. Also try different remote clients at same time.

Regards

Alpha

• Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:39 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:15 AM

All replies

• Media should flow through Edge (external interface to internal interface) to Mediation Server to CUCM for an external user trying to make a PSTN call. What makes you think that signalling is correct? If this were true the call should connect but you should here no audio. Is this what is happening?

Regardles, start with a client side log to see if there is any relevant information. Next capture S4 on the Mediation Server and SIPStack/MRAS on the Edge server.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Hi Alan,

That is what I thought re the media flow. The reason I believe all ports are correct is that a federated user / remote user can call an internal user using Lync. Its purely the Cisco Intergration that doesnt work from outside. Desktop sharing etc also works. In the past if I have had firewall issues then this normally causes issues too. Anyway...

I ran the trace and the following is the only error I can see:

ms-client-diagnostics: 23; reason="Call failed to establish due to a media connectivity failure when one endpoint is internal and the other is remote";CallerMediaDebug="audio:ICEWarn=0x222,LocalSite=89.101.157.129:4267,LocalMR=193.95.183.113:57204,RemoteSite=10.100.101.54:55078,PortRange=1025:65000,LocalMRTCPPort=57204,LocalLocation=1,RemoteLocation=2,FederationType=0"
    Proxy-Authorization: TLS-DSK qop="auth", realm="SIP Communications Service", opaque="D626C971", targetname="CWTSRVLYNC01.XXXXX.XXX", crand="2b0aad75", cnum="47", response="1aeafe2b6d2d531556ab33e7bf88bfee1a7fb841"

I cant see any issues in the client logs.

Thoughts?

Many Thanks

Rob

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:04 PM
  • I'm not going to be much help here I think because that error is fairly generic for Edge related media traversal issues. What confuses me is that you say that an external Lync user can communicate with an internal Lync user and make a call. THe only other suggestion I can offer is that if you have monitoring enabled take a look at the user activity reports for a user having this problem and see if it offers any more information. Also, take a look at the event log on the Mediation server to see if there is any information there.

You may want to consider opening a Support case.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Did you have a CCM client? Can you call CCM client from external Lync user?

Can you hear ring from the callee?

It seems the problem locate between Lync edge and FE. Can you collect log information on Lync edge server?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi Liza,

An interesting idea.. so I tried calling a CCM client from external and exactly the same issue. I get Lync ringtone but nothing else..

I am sure its firewall related but the Firewall support company tell me nothing is being blocked..

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Rob

Friday, November 9, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Hi Rob,

check for the remote user client logs and see if you get a MRAS candidate when the calls fails. Also try different remote clients at same time.

Regards

Alpha

• Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:39 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:15 AM