none
Folder layout in Edge, Firefox, Chrome ect. vs IE

Question

• What do you need to change on my SSRS server to have the SSRS folder layout in Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Yandex, Opera (first screenshot) to match the IE Clean layout (second screenshot)?

Notice how all the folder are messy in Firefox but all nice and neat in IE.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Garth,

In Reporting Services, the supported browsers to run report manager to manage reports and the report server includes:

Internet Explorer 7 or newer and scripting must be enabled.
    Mozilla FireFox (latest publically released version)
    Apple Safari (latest publically released version)
    Google Chrome (latest publically released version)

Please refer to this article:
    Report Manager Browser Requirements (Native mode)

In your scenario, the issue is related to the browser compatibility. You can add some CSS code to  Folder.aspx file (default location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\<instance name> \Reporting Services\ReportManager\Pages) to support cross-browser compatibility. Please refer to links below:
    5 CSS Tips for Cross Browser Compatibility
    The Principles Of Cross-Browser CSS Coding
    CSS Relative Positioning+Browser Compatibility

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 4, 2015 3:44 AM
  • So you are saying it is compatible but then why are the folder all messy? Have you tried Firefox or chrome on your own sirs site?

Again what changes to ssrs site need to be made to clean up the folder issue?

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:16 AM
  • Hi Garth,

This is the test result with the latest version of different browsers in my environment(SSRS 2012 11.0.2218.0(X64)):

IE:

Edge:

Firefox:

Chrome:

Opera:

Yandex:

As we can see, the icons align the grid properly in these browsers. Thus, I suggest you install the latest version of browsers to make another test.

As one message can't upload more than nine images, I will continue post reply in another message.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:29 AM
  • Hi Garth,

As an alternative, you can apply the custom CSS style below in the Folder.aspx(default path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager\Pages) page, it will make the icons display in the style you want:

<style>
    .msrs-tileView > table{
    	width:100% !important;
    }
    .msrs-tileView > table > tbody > tr > td:nth-child(2){
    	width:250px !important;
    }
    </style>

After the CSS style applied:

Edge:

Firefox:

Chrome:

Opera:

Yandex:

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:31 AM
  • Hi Qiuyun, that almost perfect.

Notice within IE that the folder name get cut off (Red Arrows), I'm ok with that.

However in Firefox the folder name pushes the next folder over (Green Arrows)

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:27 PM
  • Hi Garth,

A fact I found out recently is that, actually, all the screenshots you provided about IE and all the tests I have made in IE are all based on the IE5 browser, which is built with the out dated standard and technology.

After IE7, Microsoft follows the modern browser standard to build IE browsers. Thus, the “messy” style you see in Firefox, Chrome and other browsers is actually the same as what it is in IE8+ browsers.

IE5:

IE8:

IE9:

IE Edge:

As a workaround, if you don’t mind to display the folders in a “Two Column” style, you could apply the snippet below:

<style>
    div.msrs-tileView {
      float: left;
      height: 70px;
      width: 50%;
    }
    </style>

It will make all the folders display in two columns, which will leave enough space for the folder with “long name”(suppose that you don’t want to name a folder with a really long string):

A drawback is, in the IE8- browsers, it will display in “One Column” style:

If you want to apply the style in IE5 to all versions of IE browsers as well as other browsers, a thought is that, you will need to write some custom JavaScript to re-organize the HTML source code dynamically to get the specific style.

With JavaScript, it will be able to manipulate the HTML source code freely after a page is loaded in browser.

More information about JavaScript:
    http://www.w3schools.com/js/

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:06 AM
  • Qiuyan,

I’m clearly not using IE 5. My first screenshot clearly show Firefox and my second screenshots clearly show IE 11. So I have no idea where you think IE 5 is coming into the mix.

To help prove to you that  IE 11 is prefect and Edge, Firefox, and other are messy here are 3 new screenshot.

Clearly SSRS prefers IE, but if Chrome, Firefox and Edge are supported by SSRS, then they clearly should not be showing the report folder in a messy fashion as they are currently doing so.

You can clearly see this is the exactly same SSRS site ( SCCM 2012 R2 SSRS site to be exact) in all three screenshots. You can clearly see that IE 11 is clean! And Edge and Firefox are messy!

So please explain exactly why IE 11 is nice and clean and Edge and Firefox are messy?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Hi Garth,

According to my tests, the SSRS report which contains folder with long name only renders correctly when in IE5.

Can the folder with long name be trimmed correctly in your IE11? Such as the folder “Software Distribution – Package and Program Deployment Status”.

As we can see, the outcome in IE11 between our environments are different, thus, a possible reason is that, the SSRS report renders correctly only under some circumstances.

I would see it as a compatibility issue between SSRS report and various browsers. Since there is no fix for it at this moment, I would still recommend you take the custom CSS style provided in my last reply as a workaround currently.

Moreover, it is recommended to submit a feedback to Microsoft about this issue at this link: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:21 AM
  • I'm sorry but I'm not following you. My test clearly show that SSRS does not behave the same between IE 11 and Firefox, chrome, etc..

Your work around doesn't solve the problem all it does it hide it from those folder/ report title that is short, any report or folder with a long title will have problems.

I'm clearly using a default SSRS site that has Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager installed. All report names and folders are the one defined by the Product team and are not create my myself.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:07 PM
  • Hi Garth,  I notice you had a back and forth with a microsoft rep to get them to resolve the issue with display of SSRS reports in tile view - Report Manager in firefox. Did you manage to find a solution to the long name issue which pushed the tiles forward ? Do you know how to get the drop down to work in firefox like it does in IE ? I can see a drop down button at the end of the SSRS report name but nothing appears when you try to click on it.

Thanks,
    Savio

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:01 PM
  • Nope, however SQL 2016 and later doesn't have this problem. 

Garth Jones

Blog: https://www.enhansoft.com/blog Old Blog: https://sccmug.ca/

Twitter: @GarthMJ Book: System Center Configuration Manager Reporting Unleashed

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:18 PM