How to retain original heading style after marking for Table of Contents in Mircrosoft Word 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Microsoft Word 2007. When marking centered headings for a Table of Contents, I've found that the headings change to blue font and align on the left margin. Is there any way to retain the original heading settings, or an easy way to change them back, without having to go through the whole document manually centering and changing the font back to black?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• Modify the heading style(s) to suit your needs. Place the insertion point inside a heading and press Ctrl+Shift+S. In the Apply Styles pane, click the Modify button. Make the desired font changes.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Are you using the Add Text option in the Table of Contents group on the References tab? In that case, what happens is that Word applies a built-in heading to text. When you select Level 1 on the drop down, Heading 1 is applied, when you select level 2, Heading 2 is applied, and so on.

You only have to modify a style once (for a particular document). For example, modifying Heading 1 affects all paragraphs in the document formatted in the Heading 1 style.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:25 PM

All replies

• Modify the heading style(s) to suit your needs. Place the insertion point inside a heading and press Ctrl+Shift+S. In the Apply Styles pane, click the Modify button. Make the desired font changes.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Mr. Blom,

Thank you for your response.  I experimented with your instructions. Some questions:

1.  I go first to the headings I want in the Table of Contents, and make sure that the settings in the Ctrl+Shift+S / Apply Styles pane match the font style, size and alignment of my original heading. Then I highlight each heading and mark it for the Table of Contents?

2.  Do I have to make font changes in each heading in the document that will be marked for the TOC, or just one/the first example of each TOC level?  

It seems to me like after I modified the first heading of a level, it applied to all the others?...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Are you using the Add Text option in the Table of Contents group on the References tab? In that case, what happens is that Word applies a built-in heading to text. When you select Level 1 on the drop down, Heading 1 is applied, when you select level 2, Heading 2 is applied, and so on.

You only have to modify a style once (for a particular document). For example, modifying Heading 1 affects all paragraphs in the document formatted in the Heading 1 style.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:25 PM