Indexing Of Files RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a scenario where I will eventually have 500 million documents to search.

1) I believe Windows Search, used with the SDK on Windows Server 2008 is nowhere near reliable or scalable enough. Please verify.

2) If I use Sharepoint, do the files on the server all have to be checked into Sharepoint, or can it index the files on the server, on shared UNC paths, etc? Or do the files have to be checked into Sharepoint, and are they stored in sql server. I need a .net programming interface to give me a list of files.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:04 PM

Answers

• I am not sure if windows search is reliable or not in your scenario. But I can give details about your second question.

The files need NOT be checked in or uploaded to any SharePoint site. You can crawl a shared path, by creating a content source for that.

After indexing is done, you can use the OOB webparts to show results in a SharePoint site. Or use the Search API to get the results and show them on any interface you need.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:26 PM

All replies

• I am not sure if windows search is reliable or not in your scenario. But I can give details about your second question.

The files need NOT be checked in or uploaded to any SharePoint site. You can crawl a shared path, by creating a content source for that.

After indexing is done, you can use the OOB webparts to show results in a SharePoint site. Or use the Search API to get the results and show them on any interface you need.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:26 PM
  • A search scope can be created to index a fileshare, External web site, and/or external data source.

The following link is very light on technical content, but will get your head into the game:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/define-scopes-for-searches-HA010241119.aspx

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:30 PM
  • You ask about "SharePoint". As this is a pre-SharePoint 2010 forum that means you are asking about one of the 2007 (or earlier) SharePoint products.

In the 2007 range there were two main SharePoint products WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007. The answers you have received so far about question 2 (clearly q1 about Windows Search is off-topic here) only apply to MOSS 2007 as WSS 3.0 does not index anything else than files stored in itself.

However the main point that seems to have been ignored so far is whether SharePoint is suitable for searching 500 Million documents even if it could. I would instead look at the FAST products for that - note that there are specific forums for the different versions of them, just as there are different forums for SharePoint 2010 if you want to ask about the current SharePoint range.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Steve,

Would it be possible to consult with you for a couple hours?

Derek Hart
    415-747-8925

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:19 PM