Taskbar icons turn white RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

some users report that their taskbar pinned icons suddenly turn to white, and they're no longer working. On the first one I deleted them and repinned from the program shortcut, but now more users are reporting the same behavior,  so I'd like to know what causes this. thay all have roaming profiles, folder locations are controlled through GPO but I didn't see anything on taskbar icon location...

thanks for any insight

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let us scan for virus and malware software first.

Then, we can try to clear icons cache.

1) Open a command prompt.

2) Run the below commands taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /a

3) Reboot the machine.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Kim Zhou Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:08 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Let us scan for virus and malware software first.

Then, we can try to clear icons cache.

1) Open a command prompt.

2) Run the below commands taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /a

3) Reboot the machine.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Kim Zhou Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:08 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi, I am having this same problem as well.

But your solution does not resolve it.

Along with the white icons, the libraries also point to a C:\Windows\System32\systemprofile and the IE temporary files are in C:\Windows\system32\systemprofile\....

Also, the desktop icons for the user are gone and IE Favorites are not there.

Seems like booting up in Last Known Config resolves this most of the time, but then they might see the same issue again the next day or the following day.

My laptop has see this a few times as well.

Can you suggest anything that may cause part of the user's profile to point to C:\Windows\System32\systemprofile?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:05 PM
  • kill explorer.exe

open cmd and type:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT

restart explorer.exe

credit: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Rebuild-Icon-Cache-in-Windows-10-White-Icon/
    • Edited by john_lidop Monday, January 6, 2020 3:42 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 3:41 PM