none
Windows Server 2016 - Failing to back up Generation 1 Virtual Machines with Windows Server Backup

Question

• Hi all,

I run a home lab and have a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V server hosting a number of virtual servers.

I have a really peculiar issue where two of my virtual machines fail to back up consistently. These are both Generation 1 Virtual Machines. One is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the other is running CentOS 6.8. I am trying to back up to a 5TB WD Elements HDD. I have checked the Backup Drive for bad sectors and errors and none exist.

Windows Server Backup is showing the components failing to back up with the following error:

The component Virtual Machine Name (Online) was skipped during the snapshot and will not be available for recovery. Error: The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

VSSAdmin shows the Hyper-V Writer as having an "Unexpected error". 

I have also COMPLETELY reinstalled the Hyper-V server from the ground up (essentially, rebuilt my Home Lab from scratch, NOT restored a backup) and am experiencing the same issue with these two virtual machines...

My other Generation 2 virtual machines back up with no issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Toby

• Edited by Toby S 96 Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:06 AM Title update.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>The component Virtual Machine Name (Online) was skipped during the snapshot and will not be available for recovery

Please check the following article regarding this issue:

http://www.c-amie.co.uk/technical/hyper-v-0x80070002-wsb-failed/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Hi there.

Thanks for this. I'll take a look soon and let you know results! :-)

Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:55 PM
  • Hi Sir,

How are things going ?

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Hiya,

I've been able to resolve the Backup issue for my CentOS Virtual Machine... I had to install the Linux Integration Services 4.1 (from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51612) and it is now backing up without a hitch... I just need to find out why my Windows Server 2008 R2 VM is failing to backup now... Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Hi Sir,

First , please check integration service version for that 2008R2 VM .

Also , please check the VSS writers state after failed backup ( CMD command :  vssadmin list writers  ). 

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton

Sunday, March 26, 2017 3:36 PM