Taking backup of document library using stsadm in MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to take backup of MOSS Document Library through command prompt using stsadm, however; when I tried to do so and pass the document library's URL i got following error:

The URL provided is invalid. Only valid URLs that are site collections or sites
    are allowed to be exported using stsadm.exe.

Please help how to backup SharePoint 2007 Document Library through stsadm.

Any help in this regards would be heighly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 9, 2012 12:03 PM

Answers

• While STSADM's export operation can cover items in a SharePoint farm to a more granular level than the backup operation, it can't go much deeper. The smallest object backup can cover is a site collection, export can only go down to a web (also referred to as a subsite) level. So you can't use the export operation to create a "backup" file of a document library.

If you want to make a copy of the list from the command line, you do have some options:

If you don't have to use the command line, you can also save the list as a template with content, but if you have a lot of content in the list that may not work due to size constraints. The SPDeploymentWizard tool Ram linked to above may also be helpful for that.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel A. Galant Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:47 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies