locked
Windows 10 Client PC DNS Issues (Maybe) RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am running a Essentials 2011 server.

    Some of my PCs have upgraded to Windows 10, and since then have been running really slow.

    What I have found is that it is taking a very long time to find network names on the LAN.

    I attempted to remove a PC from the domain, and re-connect it. But now that PC won't re-connect as it cannot find the Domain.

    All the Windows 7 PCs are working fie, I am only having issues with Windows 10 clients.

    Looking for suggestions as my searching of the web is not getting an answer for me yet.

    Thanks.

    Friday, June 17, 2016 5:09 AM

Answers

  • I have checked the Primary DNS on the affected client PCs, and have done a few different things here, but have tried having only the Small Business Server (SBS) set as the Primary DNS. But none of these changes had the desired effect.

    Hi,
    After you changed DNS address, please have a try running ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns commands to flush the DNS cache,then see if there is difference.
    Regards,
    Wendy

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    • Edited by Wendy Jiang Monday, June 20, 2016 8:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 8:02 AM
  • After I changed the DNS from automatic to entering the SBS IP as the Primary DNS, it would then locate the domain and join OK.

    Sounds like your DHCP server is handing out incorrect information.

     

     

     



    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    • Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 1:34 PM

All replies

  • Make sure they're not multi-homed, that there is a route defined from client network to server, and that the client has the ip address of the server as primary DNS and no others listed. Also for essentials I'd try them over here.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

     

     

     



    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    Saturday, June 18, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Dave.

    I will search the link you posted and seek for further information.

    I am just adding some further information regarding the problem I am experiencing. Maybe it may highlight something else I may not be thinking of.

    I have checked the Primary DNS on the affected client PCs, and have done a few different things here, but have tried having only the Small Business Server (SBS) set as the Primary DNS. But none of these changes had the desired effect.

    I have had 3 Windows 7 PCs that had updated to Windows 10, and all appear to be having the same problems with DNS.

    I decided to wipe one of these PCs and re-install fresh clean Windows 10 OS and re-join it to the domain.

    This would not work at first, and would give me errors about not being able to locate the domain name.

    After I changed the DNS from automatic to entering the SBS IP as the Primary DNS, it would then locate the domain and join OK.

    The PC that has the new install of Windows 10 is now working fine with no issues and slow DNS.

    I could do the same to the other PCs, but I am hoping to find a way to fix this without doing a full re-install of Windows 10.

    Thanks.

    Monday, June 20, 2016 5:01 AM
  • I have checked the Primary DNS on the affected client PCs, and have done a few different things here, but have tried having only the Small Business Server (SBS) set as the Primary DNS. But none of these changes had the desired effect.

    Hi,
    After you changed DNS address, please have a try running ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns commands to flush the DNS cache,then see if there is difference.
    Regards,
    Wendy

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    • Edited by Wendy Jiang Monday, June 20, 2016 8:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 8:02 AM
  • After I changed the DNS from automatic to entering the SBS IP as the Primary DNS, it would then locate the domain and join OK.

    Sounds like your DHCP server is handing out incorrect information.

     

     

     



    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    • Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 1:34 PM