none
Recovery Point creation failed backing up primary DPM SystemState. RRS feed

• Question

• Two  2008 R2 Servers with DPM 2007 (v 2.0.8864.0).  Server 1 is the Primary and Server 2 backs up Server 1.  DPM on Server 2 fails to create a recovery point for the SystemState of Server 1.

DPM Server 2 Error displayed in DPM under Monitoring - Alerts.

Recovery point creation jobs for System State Computer\SystemState on Server1 have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 7.  If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed.  (ID 3114)

DPM failed to create the system state backup. If you are trying to create the system state of a Windows 2008 Server operating system, verify that the Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed, and that there is enough free disk space on the protected server to store the system state. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

Server 1 ( Protected server in this case ) Errors from Application Log in Event Viewer

Level = Error Source = MSDPM Event ID = 4212

The description for Event ID 4212 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

DpmWriter service encountered an error during PrepareBackup as more than one component is selected for backup in the same snapshot set. Select a single DPM replica for backup and try the operation again.

The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎06‎-‎15T17:20:17.814000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348129'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Level = Error Source = Backup Event ID = 521
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:21 AM Moving to DPM SS and BMR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I also get this error message in DPM Server 2 in Event Viewer - Applications and Service Logs -DPM Alerts

Creation of recovery points for SystemState on Server 1 have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3159)

DPM failed to create the system state backup. If you are trying to create the system state of a Windows 2008 Server operating system, verify that the Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed, and that there is enough free disk space on the protected server to store the system state. (ID: 30214)

I do have WSB installed on Server 1 ( the protected server and Primary DPM ) and the is 160 GB free on the system/boot partition.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Stopping the SQL Server VSS Writer on Server 1 (primary DPM) allows the SystemState of Server 1 to backup properly on DPM Server 2.  Unfortunately the docs say I need this Service running to backup my Primary DPM (Server 1) SQL Database.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hello,

Are you still having an issue?

Thanks
    Shane
    • Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:18 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:50 AM