none
DPM Using in-guest VSS hardware provider and failing. RRS feed

• Question

• I am recieving an error 30112 when trying to create a recovery point of a VM in data protection manager (DPM.)

To give you a summary of the environment, We have physical DPM server that is attempting to create a recovery point from a Windows 2008 R2 VM.  The VM is running in a Hyper-V 2012 cluster.  DPM works well with many other VMs.  One unique thing about this environment is that we are running SQL Server in the VM and we have Netapp SAN Volumes mounted within the VM which SQL uses as its data volumes.  DPM is instructed to backup the VM (The C: drive.)  But we don't expect DPM to backup the other drives.  Those are done with Netapp's tools and are most likely outside the scope of this conversation.

Now to the problem, I believe I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that DPM is attempting to use the Netapp VSS Hardware provider to take the snapshot instead of the Microsoft software provider.  When i try to create a recovery point in DPM it fails with error 30112 ("DPM Encountered a retryable VSS error").  At the same time three events appear in the Hyper-V host's event log; 10136 (Warning, "One or more iSCSI disks are configured in the virtual machine...[removed more]") , 10102 ("Failed to create the volume shadow copy inside of virtual machine 'Hostname'") , 16010 ("The operation failed").  At the same time inside the VM's own event log I see no errors but I do see these events; 4104 ("ONTAP VSS hardware provider has started") , 1239 ("Data OnTap VSS hardware provider is loaded"), 8224 ("The vss service is shutting down due to idle timeout.")

So from what I can tell the snapshot is started from DPM.  The Hyper-V host tries to initialize the VSS provider.  The guest has the NetAPP hardware provider installed so it tries to use that by default.  However NetApp does not manage the C: drive so it gets stuck and eventually times out.

How can I tell DPM to use the software provider instead of the hardware provider?

I've already added 'UseSystemSoftwareProvider' to my DPM Agent registry key on the VM and it already was on the host for quite a while.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM is not responsible for taking snapshots inside the Guest operating system.  The Hyper-V writer on the host initiates that by communicating with the integration components inside the guest to make application consistent snapshots.  It seems that the Hyper-V integration components do not specify to use the system provider.  You can "try" to force using the system provider inside the effected guest by adding this value and setting it to one and see if it helps.

To try using the  'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider'. Create a new DWORD value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\UseMicrosoftProvider = 1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:13 PM